South American Cichlids • Severum keepers?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Severum keepers?

Postby Mr Tobias » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am

I've kept a few different kinds of severums over the years. They seem to vary within a group as much as people - some nice and some nasty. I've had to get rid of a few over the years because they've terrorized a tank, while others of the same type stayed mellow. I have not found any pattern.

Right now I have one in with a group of blue acara and it's fine. The acara are very mellow and stay smaller. The severum grow pretty fast and get very large. I can't give you a formula for numbers to keep, other than to say they'll probably get bigger than you expect. I'd also be prepared to catch and move one if it turns nasty. Good luck!
Mr Tobias

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby zimmy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I have a red shoulder (rotkeil) severum with 7 uarus, a chocolate cichlid and 9 geophagus sp. tapajos red head. The severum is not the biggest fish in the tank but it is definitely the boss without being overly aggressive. Rotkeil severums stay a bit smaller than the other varieties - maybe something to consider in a 4' tank.
zimmy

Postby mambee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am

zimmy wrote:I have a red shoulder (rotkeil) severum with 7 uarus, a chocolate cichlid and 9 geophagus sp. tapajos red head. The severum is not the biggest fish in the tank but it is definitely the boss without being overly aggressive. Rotkeil severums stay a bit smaller than the other varieties - maybe something to consider in a 4' tank.

Zimmy - you must have a seriously large tank. I've kept uarus, and they are huge.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby zimmy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

mambee wrote:Zimmy - you must have a seriously large tank. I've kept uarus, and they are huge.

Mine are not full grown and a few of them are juvies. They're in a 120G at the moment but will be moving to an 8ft 240G next month. Not a "seriously huge tank." It will not be big enough for all the fish once they're full grown, so some will be selected out over time.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.
zimmy

Postby Steve C » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 pm

No problem it's all on the same sort of topic ;)

Appreciate the feedback guys. I think once I get the new tanks in a couple weeks I'll probably pick up 6 small juvie severums from our auction and grow them out and whittle it down to two pair then if need be.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby Vociferus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm

I've got 2 male greens and 2 EB Acaras in my 75. The two species leave each other alone but there's some aggression with the Severums between each other. It's only started in the last couple of months as they got older. Honestly if I could do it over I'd just have the one Green in a 4' tank. I've kept them before and they were more mellow than this pair but you can never know when you get juvies.
Vociferus

Postby Steve C » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Picked up a quad of Electric Blue Acara that are all about 2.5"-3" as well as a trio of 1.5" Super Red Severums from my club auction this past weekend. Currently QT'd till I get the pair of 120's picked up and set up.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids