South American Cichlids • Severum keepers?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Severum keepers?

Postby Steve C » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Anyone here keep severums? Have some questions about them because I'm thinking of getting some for my next tank. If anyone keeps them just let me know and I'll post up all my questions ;)
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Severum keepers?

Postby JRW81 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:25 pm

I have been keeping severums for a couple of years. I’ll be glad to answer whatever questions I can
JRW81

Postby Vociferus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

I've got a couple of Green Severums, just over a year old. Fire away!
Vociferus

Postby nodima » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 am

I've got a couple, though I'd not consider myself a "Severum Keeper" :D
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby mambee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm

I had a couple of turquoise severums for a few years, They were pretty mellow, except that they would try to taste any new fish that I added to the tank, especially BNPs. I rehomed them when I wanted to add live plants.

I had a beautiful red severum which I purchased as a juvenile who was homicidal. It would always attack the eyes and killed an adult geophagus and maimed another one. He was also rehomed.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby thornsja19 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 pm

In my 60g tank I started with the Rainbows, one EBA, the Gold Severum, and a Turquoise Severum. The Turquoise was relentless with the Gold and would occasionally take a run at the Rainbows. Replaced him with the second EBA. The Gold is the current tank boss but he's pretty mellow. Seems like he's content to just chill out unless any of the others get into a dispute, then he'll charge in and break it up. Also likes to push the Rainbows out of the way and eat their eggs whenever they try breeding. But that's pretty much it. No real chasing of any kind
60g 1 Gold Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth, 4 Rainbow cichlid, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 BN pleco, 1 ABN pleco
10g German Blue Ram pair
3.5g Male Betta, Dwarf Cory cat
3.5g Male Betta
All tanks have MTS and Assassin snails
thornsja19

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am

I have had several over the yrs. A great community SA cichlid. They do well with Oscars, Acaras, Saums etc. Greens can get to a fair size, 10ins for some big fellas, so a bigger tank is needed to keep as a community or with a few of their own.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Steve C » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Sorry for the delay guys, basically what I am looking to get is an opinion on stocking numbers. I will be adding a pair of 120g tanks to my collection soon and while one of the tanks I already have covered for stock, the other I would like to do something I have never done before. I've always liked the looks of Severums but have never kept them so what I am thinking is a group of electric blue Acara and a group of Severums. Been looking at the yellow Severums (which I believe are actually called green or gold?) and also the red Severums, so would like to have a few of each in the tank.

The 120g is 4'x2'x2 I've been hearing everything from 2-3 severums to 6-8 severums in that size tank. So thought I would ask here and see what anyone here that keeps them thought.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby JRW81 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 am

Being a 4ft tank I would only do 2 severums with the acaras. Severums are not always as peaceful as people make them out to be and if there’s 2 males there will be a lot of fighting
JRW81

Postby Steve C » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Are the females as nicely colored as males when it comes to Severums? What if I did 1 male and 2-3 females? If that would work then it wouldn't be hard for me to sort a good ratio. We have a club auction coming up in a few weeks so I could get a number of 2-3" severums at the auction(there's usually a good number of them at our auctions) and sort a ratio to grow out then put any unwanted males back into the club for re-homing.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby JRW81 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:27 pm

The females are about as colorful as the males but they don’t have the color on their face like the males do. You could try to do a male and a couple of females. They don’t pair up easily but if they do just watch the aggression
JRW81

Postby Steve C » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Ok I'll see what comes up at the auction. How about the blue acara's do you have any exp with them at all? Wondering about a stock number for them as well since I have not had those before.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby JRW81 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:36 pm

I don’t have any experience with blue acaras. Sure someone will be able to help with them
JRW81

Postby Steve C » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm

No problem, I appreciate your help with the severums.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby thornsja19 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:10 am

Electric Blue Acaras are pretty mellow, but I'm not sure if I'd add any in if you're going with 4 severums already
60g 1 Gold Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth, 4 Rainbow cichlid, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 BN pleco, 1 ABN pleco
10g German Blue Ram pair
3.5g Male Betta, Dwarf Cory cat
3.5g Male Betta
All tanks have MTS and Assassin snails
thornsja19

Next

Return to South American Cichlids