South American Cichlids • Geo ID supposed to be Redheads.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Geo ID supposed to be Redheads.

Postby Samaron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

I bought a group of six of these fish. Sold to me as redheads but I am beginning to have doubts. Can someone help me ID these. They have very similar marking to my Altifrons, that was sold to me as surinamensis, but slightly different coloration. The largest is probably 3.5 inches. They do have some darkness or even redness to their heads that I don't see in my other eartheaters. In most pic I see of redheads they seem to have lines on their caudal fins and not dots, but I'm not sure if that's just becuase they are mine are "juvenile". Second picture is so you can see his read head don't mind the big Altifrons.
Attachments
20170926_160643.jpg
20170926_160738.jpg
20170926_160639.jpg
Samaron

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Geo ID supposed to be Redheads.

Postby Samantha102938 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 am

Bumpbump
Samantha102938

Re: Geo ID supposed to be Redheads.

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 am

All the Geos I see in those photos are Geophagus altifrons, exact population uncertain. One of the things that identifies a species as altifrons complex is the lateral spot. Generally, the lateral spot is very small in juveniles, and usually absent in adults. I remember hearing that, if the spot covers less than 10 scales, it is altifrons.

Red Heads have an orange or red forehead, and the lateral spot may be absent, but when you do see it, it is much larger than altifrons. The caudal pattern of stripes starts from a fairly small size, so you are correct in thinking that the spotted caudal pattern is an indication that your fish are not Tapajos Red Heads. But the major character for this species is the double vertical bars on the flanks, which your fish are not showing.

DSC_0043.JPG
Red Head Tapajos
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to South American Cichlids