South American Cichlids • 75 gallon tank set up

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

75 gallon tank set up

Postby Waggs999 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

I am new to the forum. First time post. Although I have been reading posts for quite some time.
I have a 75 gallon (tall) aquarium (36x18x25).
Currently I have an Angelfish, he is over 6 months old and is getting big approx 5 inches from nose to tail. A young Blue Acara (100% sure its an Acara and not a Green Terror) approx 3 inches long.
2 full grown Columbian Tetras, a Juli Cory, (had more but lost some due to water problems, solved), and a Bristlenose Pleco. I had to remove a small (silver dollar body size) female black lace Angel Fish, who was getting picked on by the Acara and the larger male Angel. She was placed in a temporary tank. I am just wondering what other fish I can add to this tank to make it more balanced. It just seems empty right now. It is planted with various sword plants and anubius. Should I add more Corydoras and Tetras? Though, I would like it to be more of a S.American Cichlid tank. I like the color of rams, but I don't think they would do well w/ the Acara. The tank is well established and have been set up for over a year. With plenty of filtration (two Aquaclear 70 filters). Any information would be helpful.
Waggs999

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon tank set up

Postby Corbett_n » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 pm

I have always loved great danios. They constantly swim and hit floating flakes like tuna hitting a bait ball
Corbett_n

Re: 75 gallon tank set up

Postby mambee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Definitely more corydoras of the same species. They like to be kept in schools of at least 5, and IMO different species of cory really don't school together.

Angels can be difficult and keeping only 2 usually doesn't work. I'm not sure if your tank is big enough for 5, which is a good number. I keep 6 in my 150 and they all get along.

I have no experience with Blue Acaras, but they might be too territorial to add another bottom dwelling cichlid lie a keyhole or ram. I would suggest a school of large tetras such as emperors or lemons. Another option is a school of rainbowfish or congo tetras for the top of the tank.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Return to South American Cichlids