South American Cichlids • Please help me with my fish room water quality.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Please help me with my fish room water quality.

Postby Corbett_n » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:51 pm

I am cycling 4x10g, 1x20g, and a (55g already in use) with the hopes of breeding some Bolivian rams.

My water out of my tap is confusing me, seems to be very soft with a high-ish ph: ph=7.6 KH=40ppm GH=50ppm and my water supply uses chloramine (I use sodium thiosulfate to get the chlorine out, not the ammonia in the chloramine).
I was planning on using one of the tanks a reservoir so I can do frequent small water changes on the tanks.

1)Should I treat the water in the reservoir and raise the or GH or KH? If so with what (I have crushed coral, Reverse osmosis, reef super buffer or can buy whatever is needed). My issue is my ph is already moderately high.
2) Will this setup even work for Bolivian Rams, if not what could I spawn giving my water parameters as they are now because obviously its easier to go with what you have instead of treating all the time.

3)my cities water system FAQ says:
Charleston Water System has moderately soft water. Our lab measures hardness in parts per million (ppm), but it can also be expressed in grains per gallon (gpg). The average hardness level of our water is 58.4 ppm, or 3.4 gpg, as shown in this chart.
The pH of water is a measure of the water's acidity on a scale of 0 (acidic) to 14 (basic), with a pH of 7 being neutral. The pH of Charleston's water is adjusted to around 8.3. This helps stabilize the disinfectant and to reduce the corrosion of pipes and plumbing materials.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated because I will be ready to stock the breeding tanks in 2 weeks

Thanks,
Corbett
Corbett_n

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Please help me with my fish room water quality.

Postby dalto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm

If you want to breed them, your best bet is going to a neutral phosphate buffer like Seachem Neutral Regulator. That should keep your ph stable while bufering your kh. With your kh being so low your ph will move all over the place.

If your base kh out of the tap is 8+ adding something like baking soda to increase kh will lock ph in quite high. Which is why I would use a phosphate buffer instead.

Bolivians rams should be OK in soft water but if you want to make it a little harder you can add some epsom salts.

PS. I wish I had your water.
dalto

Postby Corbett_n » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for advice, should I treat each tank or just keep treating my reservoir tank and when I do water changes it would get added? If I don't do anything to my water what issues will I run into too?
Corbett_n

Postby dalto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:32 pm

In this case, you could treat right in the tank if you wanted to.

I think the fish would be fine in your base water as long as it stays where it is. Your kh isn't 0 so you do have some buffering capacity. Just keep an eye on ph and make sure it doesn't start plummeting. You don't need to keep it perfect but if it starts falling drastically that would be bad.

Other than that, if the fish you get are coming from harder waters you should acclimate them to avoid osmotic shock. The easiest way to do that would be to put a little epsom salt in the tank that you bring them into to raise the TDS and then let regular water changes remove it over time naturally.
dalto

Return to South American Cichlids