South American Cichlids • a little oscar help

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

a little oscar help

Postby B.Roberson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Hey folks. i have a very established tank. 2 plus years. one large oscar, from a baby. 2-3", Now 8-9 or so. And a common pleco. 6-7" Tank and oscar have been very happy for a long time. Recently, have had some temporary roommates. Son in law, for a year now, and recently he made a new friend who comes over a lot and gets in my fish face. mouth goes open and he acts stressed. Now my sister in law staying for a bit. Any who, My oscar now just hovers in one corner acting stressed. Even does the open mouth stuff at me when i come up to the tank. has never done this before. Usually comes running cuz he knows im feeding. usually i can put my hand in and touch him. Now he is skiddish. Im uploading a vid to youtube. will post it. No visible damage..here are readings. I bought him tank raised, so i have never worried about gh and kh, and have never adjusted for it.
90 gal
ph= 7.5ish
nitrite=0
nitrate=10-20.
amm=.5................ this is what worries me.
I am running 2 eheim. 2213. and 2217. I alternate cleanings every month or so. never over 2 months per filter. I have NEVER detected amm.. until today. And only cuz im trying to figure out why he is acting weird. In fact, i recently set up a 20 gal and was doing a fishless cycle. and was comparing my amm readings to my 90 gal with the 20 i was setting up. Never detected amm during the other cycle. but now i do. So.. after this really long breath,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sorry folks. Should i do a filter cleaning on the one is due next, then do a dose of "safe start" after another wc??. Or does any one have any suggestions. I just did a wc saturday, 30-40%. No filter cleaning as it isnt due fow a week or so.
B.Roberson

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: a little oscar help

Postby B.Roberson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm

ok lets try

[/youtube]
also last nite i put a blanket over the tank to try and keep him calm. And the lights have been off for a day. Oh the tank temp is 79-80deg
B.Roberson

Postby B.Roberson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm

ok. update. I dosed tank with prime last nite as it was too late to delve into tearing apart a fish tank. This morning retested amm, positive for amm. So the research began. I found the source of amm, It was behind my bg. I guess it has been a while since i vacuumed back there. A ton of sediment,left over food and debri. I have to use a stool with a flashlight to see behind it, and well sorry to say it was a little gross and i was mostly ticked off at myself for not taking care of it more proficiently and feeling horrible for my oscar.. A good vacuum and another 50% wc today, went ahead and did a filter maintenance on the one filter that was coming due. I wasnt too bad. redose with prime. My oscar already looks to be feeling a bit better. I will retest tomorrow after work, ( at least 24hrs after prime dose). and do another 30-40% wc just to make sure he has a good water source.. should i add any aquarium salt or epsom salt or anything to help him feel better???????
B.Roberson

Postby B.Roberson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:19 pm

so a few hours after a good cleaning and a wc he is still acting up a bit. But he is at least swimming the whole tank. Still opens his mouth wide as if he's gasping or really annoyed. I really want him to be ok. I will do a wc every day for a month if i have to. here another short vid. sorry the clarity

B.Roberson

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm

The mouth wide open is a common way for oscars to threaten. It's aggression. Not unusual for cichlids to direct their aggression outside of the tank with out tank mates. They might see their reflection in the glass or it's directed at people in the room that come close.
In the first video it appears to me that there are eggs on the rock. It's not clear enough for me to be sure, but that's what it looks like to me. Of course that would be reason for your oscar to be charging at your finger with mouth wide open.
If you still have ammonia, I would continue with your increased water changes.
BC in SK

Postby B.Roberson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 pm

whoa. eggs in the tank?? Golly i could hope not, since he is the only one in the tank. Uh oh, wait a minute, unless you think him and my common pleco have been having a thing in the middle of the night when its dark and i'm not looking.. those sneaky guys. no, joking aside. that was just sediment or something. . i will do daily amm tests and water changes until i get this under control. Even this evening he still seems to be hovering in one area and gasping, im sitting 20 plus feet away and can see him. I hope i haven't caused any permanent damage to him.
B.Roberson

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 am

Any update on this guy?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby B.Roberson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm

thanks iggy. Been a long time since I talked to you. Yeah, actually. I am still fighting ammonia. dont know why, I have been doing pwc 2-4 times a week to try and get my filters to catch up. Feeding has basically stopped. A pinch every now and then. I also have a large pleco in there, He doesnt seem to be affected. idk, my oscar usually has been hovering in one corner below an output spray bar. I keep checking ammonia daily and it seem like it is .25 to .5ish. I dose with prime 2-3 x the tank volume on days i dont do a wc.and also dose with a wc. so hopefully keeping the ammonia non toxic. I never see nitrites, and my nitrates doing wc several times weekly are never over 10-ish. temp is steady 79-80. I cleaned 1 canister last weekend. Not even that bad, New filter floss and rinsed bio in tank water, I will do the other canister this weekend to see what it looks like and take necessary steps. any suggestions on why my tank has went out of being cycled??? there is plenty of bio in both my canister filters.
I fed a pinch, very small pinch of spirulina tonite mostly for the pleco, but the oscar ate some. He is not afraid to eat. No loss of appetite. No apparent damage, just seems like he gasps alot more than i have ever noticed. He is swimming around tonite more.
B.Roberson

Return to South American Cichlids