South American Cichlids • Wrong fish paired up

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Wrong fish paired up

Postby Guitaryellow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, can't find a general discussion. I have a Blue Acara which has paired with a Firemouth and dominating the tank, what I believe to be the associated females of both are left out in the cold.
Any help advice would be greatly appreciated. They are all fairly small in a 50g with a couple of Syno's.
Guitaryellow

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Wrong fish paired up

Postby BC in SK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Guitaryellow wrote:Blue Acara which has paired with a Firemouth

There are a few threads and reported cases of CA cichlids pairing up with SA acaras. So far, it has yet to be shown that these crosses can produce any offspring.
So if they do go to the point of laying eggs.....the eggs are almost certain to fungus with in a couple days.
Guitaryellow wrote:associated females of both are left out in the cold.

Well, if your FM and blue acara have paired up it is not a pairing of 2 males. So not sure what is meant by associated females of both? Neither fish are all that easy to sex unless very mature.
It is possible and fairly common for two females of the same species to pair up (usually in the absence of a male or large/mature enough one).......though i have actually never heard of 2 females of different species, pairing up.
BC in SK

Re: Wrong fish paired up

Postby Guitaryellow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Many thanks, the 2 concerned are bigger than the other 2 that are pushed out, obviously I take it I got the sex bit wrong, initially the firemouth's stayed together as did the Acara, the larger firemouth chases the smaller and the smaller acara does its own thing. The small firemouth is truly beautiful in colour and has some tail fin missing, unnoticed until I got it, however it's still a keeper.
Guitaryellow

Return to South American Cichlids