South American Cichlids • New severum lost color

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

New severum lost color

Postby mcgold76 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Had my severum for a week now. When I bought him, he was a dark color. As soon as he was bagged he lost it all. Assume cause of stress. He has yet to regain his color. He was very shy the first two days. As soon as i added some dither fish he lost all shyness. Now swims to top of tank when he sees me begging for food. Definitely doesn't act stressed. Tank is new but did a fishless cycle and my parameters are great. At the fish store the substrate was dark and I have light colored substrate. Could that be a factor ? Fish looks happy and is active so happy with the personality. Just would love the dark color to come back.
mcgold76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New severum lost color

Postby exodus1501 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 am

Different colored substrate can definitely change their color. Also the change in water conditions such as pH and hardness can cause stress and force them to have different coloring. I have black sand in some tanks and light in the others. The same species of fish have different coloration between the two sustrates.
exodus1501

Postby mcgold76 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

He looks darker when the tank lights are off.
mcgold76

Postby exodus1501 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 am

My fish generally look darker and a little more vibrant with the black substrate. In my 180g SA tank I do have regular golden colored sand, but a lot of dark dritwood and this seems to help strike a balance of color a bit. Although my H. Liberifer didnt darken up nearly as much as they were in my black sand tank.
exodus1501

Return to South American Cichlids