South American Cichlids • Confused

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Confused

Postby KGB13 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Newbie here. Been 3 days with my new pair of green terrors. My first cichlids and I m excited. The guy at the petstore told me that the larger one is male and other one is female. The tank is 40gal. The larger one keeps on chasing the so told female and I am worried. Is this normal? Also confused with the sexing. Attached photoes of both.

IMG_0914.JPG
Larger

IMG_0919.JPG
Smaller
KGB13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Confused

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm

They both look like males to me, the females have darker pectoral fins than the males. I used to keep them years ago, but a 40 gallon is on the small side for that species also.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

KGB13 wrote: The larger one keeps on chasing the so told female and I am worried. Is this normal?

If it continues, I'd throw a divider in the tank.
Over time, if they seem to show interest in each other, then pull the divider and monitor, supervised. If things get really rough then put divider back and try again another time.
Not unusual for many pairs of cichlids to have to be regularly divided, especially with out other cichlid tank mates.
I enlarged your pictures to look at both your GT's and I am not certain on their sex. I believe the larger is male (though not 100% certain) and lean towards the smaller being female. Body shape, lack of coloration on the fins, and small pelvic fins all point towards female, IMO.
BC in SK

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm

The fins look exactly the same on both fish... Females have black pectoral fins. The smaller one just isn't as developed as the bigger male and obviously not going to be as colorful because he's the the sub. I've kept green terrors and bred them...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby KGB13 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am

caldwelldaniel26 wrote:They both look like males to me, the females have darker pectoral fins than the males. I used to keep them years ago, but a 40 gallon is on the small side for that species also.

The smaller has two bands in the body, that makes me lean towards female.
Attachments
IMG_0925.PNG
Smaller
KGB13

Postby KGB13 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 am

BC in SK wrote:
KGB13 wrote: The larger one keeps on chasing the so told female and I am worried. Is this normal?

If it continues, I'd throw a divider in the tank.
Over time, if they seem to show interest in each other, then pull the divider and monitor, supervised. If things get really rough then put divider back and try again another time.
Not unusual for many pairs of cichlids to have to be regularly divided, especially with out other cichlid tank mates.

Thanx for the suggestion. The chase is especially after the feed. If they dont get along in a day or two, will go for the divider.
KGB13

Postby KGB13 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:29 am

caldwelldaniel26 wrote:The fins look exactly the same on both fish... Females have black pectoral fins. The smaller one just isn't as developed as the bigger male and obviously not going to be as colorful because he's the the sub. I've kept green terrors and bred them...

Thanx mate. I will put the divider first to solve the current issue first. Lets see what they will grow up to.
KGB13

Postby KGB13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Both came out to be female. Both laid eggs.
Attachments
IMG_1144.JPG
KGB13

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Yep, they both have black pectoral fins now too. Must have been stressed and a little bleached out when you took the first pics
caldwelldaniel26

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm

First of all, they are called pelvic fins. Pectoral fins are pretty much colorless on all cichlids.
And yes of course , young females in breeding coloration often have dark pelvic fins. At this point, in breeding color or especially with eggs, there are usually a half a dozen other traits that also point towards it being female.
IMO, in general, not a very useful trait to distinguish the sex of GTs. IF you were to use this solely......entire tanks of young GT's at the LFS would be sexed as 100% male.
Just by guessing, you have a 50% chance of getting the sex right. To get both wrong, it's pretty telling that it is not all that useful nor reliable :lol:
BC in SK

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Funny because I've bred them and it's not been the case that you're presenting... If you're so smart and think you're some kind of expert then why did you get it wrong too. Geez what a douche...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 pm

caldwelldaniel26 wrote:why did you get it wrong too. Geez what a douche...

I made it quite clear I was not certain on sex.
And it's one right, one wrong.
But after the second picture was posted of the smaller one , I think it was even more likely that it was female, though still not certain enough to go out on a limb and say with certainty.
As the OP mentions, the white stripes are often a fairly good indicator of a GT being female. Not that male could never, ever express this trait.....only that it is typical of female and much less common of males.
You were pretty adamant on the sex of these fish. Insulting, resorting to name calling and making excuses does not change the fact it is not at all reliable to sex GTs this way.
BC in SK

Return to South American Cichlids