Cichlid Fish Forum banner

40 Gallon SA Community Tank

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Stu_pid 
#1 ·
I just bought a ~40G bowfront aquarium with a Fluval 205 canister filter to upgrade from my previous, smaller tank. Currently, the tank has the following:
4 Platys
3 blood fin tetra
5 neon tetras
1 blood parrot cichlid

I want to make a planted community tank, and am looking for suggestions on stocking. Right now Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) look like they would be a good option, is there anything else that would work? With the Rams I am looking at:

4 Platys
5 blood fin tetra
5 neon tetras
1 blood parrot cichlid
~5 Bolivian Rams

Does this seem reasonable? From what I have read the rams are happier in small schools than solitary or in a pair.

Cheers,
Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
5 Rams seems like a lot for a 40 gallon tank. I would do no more than 3. Also, your parrot cichlid doesn't really fit size or temperament wise. There is a good chance that he will be snacking on your tetras.

#4 ·
Thanks both of you for the replies!
So far the blood parrot has been good with the tetras - I have had the community (minus the rams) for about a year now in a smaller tank - water quality has always been good and no issues aggresion-wise. Any recommendations for a "centerpiece" fish better suited to this size tank? Are the Rams a mid-water fish, or do they hang out around the substrate?

Tim

#6 ·
OK so I have gotten home and checked the dimensions, it is 92 cm(36.22") long by 41cm (16.14") wide, including the bow. So that makes 0.35m² or 594in², minus a little for the bow. So going with the guideline of 10 x 10 inches per fish (http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420) then they should be OK? Also I am still interested in other options if the Mikrogeophagus is not ideal?

#7 ·
Stu_pid said:
OK so I have gotten home and checked the dimensions, it is 92 cm(36.22") long by 41cm (16.14") wide
36" is bigger than I thought it would be. Might work, definitely right on the edge of acceptable.

Stu_pid said:
So going with the guideline of 10 x 10 inches per fish (http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420) then they should be OK?
I believe that guideline is a 10x10, not 100 in2. By that guideline you could only fit 3 10x10 squares in your tank. Either way, it is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.

Stu_pid said:
Also I am still interested in other options if the Mikrogeophagus is not ideal?
Mikrogeophagus ramirizi(Blue/Gold ram) is smaller and doesn't require a group. It is very hard to find quality stock though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.