South American Cichlids • 40 Gallon SA Community Tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

40 Gallon SA Community Tank

Postby Stu_pid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:10 pm

I just bought a ~40G bowfront aquarium with a Fluval 205 canister filter to upgrade from my previous, smaller tank. Currently, the tank has the following:
4 Platys
3 blood fin tetra
5 neon tetras
1 blood parrot cichlid

I want to make a planted community tank, and am looking for suggestions on stocking. Right now Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) look like they would be a good option, is there anything else that would work? With the Rams I am looking at:

4 Platys
5 blood fin tetra
5 neon tetras
1 blood parrot cichlid
~5 Bolivian Rams

Does this seem reasonable? From what I have read the rams are happier in small schools than solitary or in a pair.

Cheers,
Tim
Stu_pid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 40 Gallon SA Community Tank

Postby dalto » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 pm

What are the dimensions of the base of the tank?

A 40g bowfront, depending on the dimensions, is probably too small for a group Bolivians. They are pretty active fish and a group of them will want some room to move around.
dalto

Postby mambee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm

5 Rams seems like a lot for a 40 gallon tank. I would do no more than 3. Also, your parrot cichlid doesn't really fit size or temperament wise. There is a good chance that he will be snacking on your tetras.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Stu_pid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks both of you for the replies!
So far the blood parrot has been good with the tetras - I have had the community (minus the rams) for about a year now in a smaller tank - water quality has always been good and no issues aggresion-wise. Any recommendations for a "centerpiece" fish better suited to this size tank? Are the Rams a mid-water fish, or do they hang out around the substrate?

Tim
Stu_pid

Postby dalto » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Stu_pid wrote:Thanks both of you for the replies!
Are the Rams a mid-water fish, or do they hang out around the substrate?

It depends how your tank is decorated and what else is in it but generally Bolivian rams prefer the lower areas of the tank and will spend most of their time cruising around down near the substrate
dalto

Postby Stu_pid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm

OK so I have gotten home and checked the dimensions, it is 92 cm(36.22") long by 41cm (16.14") wide, including the bow. So that makes 0.35m² or 594in², minus a little for the bow. So going with the guideline of 10 x 10 inches per fish (https://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420) then they should be OK? Also I am still interested in other options if the Mikrogeophagus is not ideal?
Stu_pid

Postby dalto » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Stu_pid wrote:OK so I have gotten home and checked the dimensions, it is 92 cm(36.22") long by 41cm (16.14") wide

36" is bigger than I thought it would be. Might work, definitely right on the edge of acceptable.

Stu_pid wrote:So going with the guideline of 10 x 10 inches per fish (https://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420) then they should be OK?

I believe that guideline is a 10x10, not 100 in2. By that guideline you could only fit 3 10x10 squares in your tank. Either way, it is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.

Stu_pid wrote:Also I am still interested in other options if the Mikrogeophagus is not ideal?

Mikrogeophagus ramirizi(Blue/Gold ram) is smaller and doesn't require a group. It is very hard to find quality stock though.
dalto

Postby mambee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 am

Check out aquabid.com. There is a discus breeder who also sells rams, and he looks like he has quality stock.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Stu_pid » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks everyone! Seems like I was overestimating the stocking. If anyone has other suggestions for what could work with this community feel free to let me know!

Tim
Stu_pid

Return to South American Cichlids