South American Cichlids • Bolivian Ram Water Parameters Question

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Bolivian Ram Water Parameters Question

Postby Sillysally10 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:44 pm

We live in an area with hard water. Our water parameters according to the water facility are as follows:

Ph: 7.3
GH: Avg 155 ppm (ranges from 58-400ppm). (I think 8.5d approx)
Kh: Avg 81 ppm.. (I think 4.26d)
(Someone correct me if I have the wrong conversion to dGH/dKH).

We have a 125g tank we would like to either stock with live plants, Bolivian rams (and neons), but we are concerned that the water is too hard for them to be happy & healthy (breeding).

Our backup option would be to stock with dwarf Mbuna (Demasoni, etc..) (we do have experience with these guys).

Has anyone had success with Bolivian rams in similar or harder water conditions, please note we are not interested in going down the RO/DI route and would like to use just tap water for waters changes, etc. Thanks in advance!
Sillysally10

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bolivian Ram Water Parameters Question

Postby Drake1588 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I use RO myself, have a 30g plastic bin I store it up in since I only have a small unit designed for drinking water. It's getting old really fast. I've read that some people use small amounts of muriatic acid to soften the water, aerate it for 24 hours, and check the parameters before adding to the tank.

It's all more trouble than it's worth. Rams are beautiful fish, but they're very fragile because the breeding lines are typically very poor and they have to sustain long journeys from SE Asia to get here. They can live and be healthy in water that has your parameters, but breeding is no certainty if that is your primary goal. In a tank that large, you may want to look into geophagus tapajos (redhead) - slow growing, active, interesting fish. Not as colorful as the ram, but behaviorally they're really interesting and they're pretty hard. They do get pretty large (6-8") eventually, but a 125 would be perfect for 6-8 of them plus plenty of larger tetras as dither fish.
Drake1588

Re: Bolivian Ram Water Parameters Question

Postby dalto » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Sillysally10 wrote:We live in an area with hard water. Our water parameters according to the water facility are as follows:

Ph: 7.3
GH: Avg 155 ppm (ranges from 58-400ppm). (I think 8.5d approx)
Kh: Avg 81 ppm.. (I think 4.26d)
(Someone correct me if I have the wrong conversion to dGH/dKH).

We have a 125g tank we would like to either stock with live plants, Bolivian rams (and neons), but we are concerned that the water is too hard for them to be happy & healthy (breeding).

Our backup option would be to stock with dwarf Mbuna (Demasoni, etc..) (we do have experience with these guys).

Has anyone had success with Bolivian rams in similar or harder water conditions, please note we are not interested in going down the RO/DI route and would like to use just tap water for waters changes, etc. Thanks in advance!

Yes, M. altispinosus(Bolivian ram), will do fine in moderate water. I suspect it will be much harder to keep the neons alive :)

Drake1588 wrote:I use RO myself, have a 30g plastic bin I store it up in since I only have a small unit designed for drinking water. It's getting old really fast. I've read that some people use small amounts of muriatic acid to soften the water, aerate it for 24 hours, and check the parameters before adding to the tank.

It's all more trouble than it's worth. Rams are beautiful fish, but they're very fragile because the breeding lines are typically very poor and they have to sustain long journeys from SE Asia to get here. They can live and be healthy in water that has your parameters, but breeding is no certainty if that is your primary goal. In a tank that large, you may want to look into geophagus tapajos (redhead) - slow growing, active, interesting fish. Not as colorful as the ram, but behaviorally they're really interesting and they're pretty hard. They do get pretty large (6-8") eventually, but a 125 would be perfect for 6-8 of them plus plenty of larger tetras as dither fish.

It sounds like you are talking about M. ramirezi(Blue/Gold ram). Those are line bred for color and fin length and are often be susceptible to the issues you are discussing. They also come from softer, more acidic waters.

That being said, a 125, assuming it is a 6ft 125, would be great with Geophagus sp. "Red Head Tapajos".
dalto

Return to South American Cichlids