South American Cichlids • Severum Stocking Help

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Severum Stocking Help

Postby Dycofree » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Hey all. I have a 75 gallon stocked with the following

1 Turquoise Severum
6 Denison Barb
10 Lemon Tetra

I rescued the severum on a whim for a Petsmart where it was being beat to #%$& by 3 other gold severums. I couldnt watch it. I am rehoming the lemons tomorrow, and am posting wondering what you guys think i should do. Should I rehome the severum and build around the denisons? Or keep both and build from there? I've had some tell me 6 Denisons and 1 Sev is all I can keep. I have a marineland 350b and a fluval 406. My idea was this:

1 Turquoise Sev
6 Denison
20 Harlequin rasboras
10 corys

How is this?

Let me hear any and all ideas
Dycofree

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Severum Stocking Help

Postby dalto » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:27 pm

I don't really know much about Denison barbs but as far the severum goes it should be fine with Corydoras as long as they are not small enough to eat which would be only the tiniest species. You never really know whether an adult severum will eat rasboras or small bodied tetras. Sometimes they will ignore them, other times they see them as snacks. Severum are mostly peaceful, especially when kept as lone individuals. If you want a school of fish other than the Denisons consider one of the taller bodied tetras.
dalto

Postby surfthebay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:30 pm

I would get more severums from Petsmart. I have had a great experience with them. Severums are very peacefull. I kept severums in a community planted tank. The severums really grew large quickly. I found severums very shy compared to other cichlids. I have never breed them.
Sincerely,
Andy Magoulick
Meteorologist from the University of Hawaii
[email protected]
surfthebay

Postby exodus1501 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

With nice woodwork I feel like the 75 might start getting a bit crowded when the heros and barbs hit their full size, and then all of the other fish add up as well. I personally would rather see all of that in a 6' 125 and add another 1-2 heros types, though a 75 may work just fine for you. There are a lot more types than people realize. I personally keep H. rotkeil, efasciatus(green, reds, and gold), notatus, liberifer.

I have had heros kill a couple rainbow fish before, they are not always great with smaller fish, but for the most part they are peaceful. I now stay on the side of caution because they are still big strong fish and quite capable of killing smaller fish if they want.
exodus1501

Return to South American Cichlids