South American Cichlids • Green terror bullied by electric blue jack Dempsey

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Green terror bullied by electric blue jack Dempsey

Postby Kitty92 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 am

So I've my electric blue jack Dempsey since he was less than an inch, now they about 1.5-2 inches now I've moved him into a 55 gallon and decided to get him some tank mates.. I got a green terror since they're close in size and that's what my boyfriend wanted as his fish. Since I've added the green terror the ebjd is beating up on it. I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl but it won't fight back it just swims away from him totally submissive and they are the same size.. he's already got a big chunk missing on his tail fin. What should I do?
Attachments
IMG_0108.JPG
Kitty92

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Green terror bullied by electric blue jack Dempsey

Postby dalto » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 pm

What kind of structure/decoration do you have in the tank? If he is defending a portion of the tank you could try moving the decorations around. Try to create multiple territories in the tank.

You could try taking the ebjd out of the tank for a few days and then re-introducing it. That eliminate him seeing it as his territory.

You could try adding a bunch of dither fish to stop him from focusing on the other cichlid.

As you can see dealing with aggression issues is more of an art than science.
dalto

Return to South American Cichlids