South American Cichlids • Cockatoo Cichlid and Kuhli Loaches

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Cockatoo Cichlid and Kuhli Loaches

Postby Volitox » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 pm

So I'm thinking a setting up a tank for breeding Cockatoo Cichlids. I want only Cockatoos and Kuhlis in it because from what I understand the Kuhlis won't touch the fry dry and I can keep fry in the tank with the parents. So my question is for a tank with 3-4 cockatoos and 4 or so Kuhlis, how large should it be? I'm asking for measurements along with actual gallons! Thanks in advance :)
Volitox

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cockatoo Cichlid and Kuhli Loaches

Postby dalto » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm

For a trio(m/f/f) of A. cacatuoides(cockatoo cichlids) you want at least a 30" tank. Something like a 20L and setup a breeding on each far end. Even in that situation the females will steal each others fry but that is fascinating to watch as well.

For 2 pair of A. cacatuoides I would recommend at least a 48" tank and doing something to obscure sight lines from one side to the other.

I am not very familiar with Kuhli loaches so I can't advise you there but I will warn you that Apistogramma females are extremely protective of their fry when they are young and will often starve to death in a situation with what the perceive to be predators.

Lastly, apistogramma species are excellent parents until the fry reach a certain age at which point they can be seen as competition so make sure to remove the fry once they get big enough.
dalto

Re: Cockatoo Cichlid and Kuhli Loaches

Postby The Dude315 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm

I have 2 male Caucatoides (sold to me as a pair) in my 75 gallon with no females... and I can tell you that even with dense planting and a lot of "dither" fish you will very likely be unable to keep 2 pairs in a 4 foot tank. Maybe a 5 foot 120, but definitely not a 4 foot. As to Kuhli's my Apisto's don't care about any fish other than each other. That may change when they have fry as I cant speak to that yet.
The Dude315

Return to South American Cichlids