South American Cichlids • Will this be fine?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Will this be fine?

Postby lynn123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:51 am

I've got a 90litre tank I've aqua scaled it with multiple pieces of different drift wood, plenty of rocks forming a cave system and many places for fish to hide. My question is will his be suitable for a pair of apistogrammas? From what I've heard they like planted aquariums how necessary is this as I'm using sand as my substrate and plants don't tend to grow well in sand
lynn123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Will this be fine?

Postby mambee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm

My crypts grow fine in sand. I also grow lots of different anubias, which grow best tied to driftwood. Same with Java fern.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby tanker3 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Usually plants grow better in sand, my "South American" tank is planted and has sand. Some plants may need some nutrients added to the sand, but most can do without.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby lynn123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:31 pm

mambee wrote:My crypts grow fine in sand. I also grow lots of different anubias, which grow best tied to driftwood. Same with Java fern.

i also have an albino bristlenose pleco and a featherfin catfish wont they eat the plants?
lynn123

Postby mambee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 am

Your BNP and featherfin will not bother the plants, plus Java fern and anubias are supposed to taste bad. I supplement the feeding of my BNPs with sinking algae tablets and slices of seedless zucchini. I keep the zucchini slices in the freezer and they sink after thawing. Even my geophagus enjoy eating it.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Return to South American Cichlids