South American Cichlids • What kind of Geophagus for 75 gallon?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

What kind of Geophagus for 75 gallon?

Postby Dycofree » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello. I have an empty 75 gallon I'll be setting up in a week with a pre existing Marineland 350b and a Fluval 406. I've been tossing around the idea of Red Head Tapajos, but really feel that the 4' length isnt adequate for a group. I've considered a single pair, but not sure I want to spend all the extra money to get a natural pair just to return 3/4 of them once I do. Anyone have suggestions for Geos in this tank or any other good size cichlid? My tank will have a good amount of driftwood and may or not be planted, depending on the stock. Right now Im considering doing this stock

8 Denison Barbs
4 Bolivians
2 Electric Blue Acara
10 Corys Cats

Temp at 75

Let me know what ideas you guys have!
Dycofree

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What kind of Geophagus for 75 gallon?

Postby Dycofree » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 pm

I have come across Geophagus Balzani and have become very interested. Does anyone have info on these guys from experience? How many for a 75? I read that 1 male and 2 female is a good number. Their temp also lines up with Denison Barbs perfectly, which is awesome. Good sized dither
Dycofree

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 am

Look for it as Gymnogeophagus balzanii. Hasn't been in Geophagus since 1976. Some people believe they need a cooling period because they are Gymnogeophagus, but they are the most northerly species of that genus which means they are more tolerant of permanent temps in the mid 70s. IME, they do not require a cooling period, though it might extend their lives a few years.

Relatively mild mannered for an Eartheater type, I think a male and 2-3 females would be fine in a 75. Not sure if a second male would be acceptable, as I did not keep them in a large group. They don't seem to require it like true Geos. Females mouthbrood the eggs and fry.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Dycofree » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Look for it as Gymnogeophagus balzanii. Hasn't been in Geophagus since 1976. Some people believe they need a cooling period because they are Gymnogeophagus, but they are the most northerly species of that genus which means they are more tolerant of permanent temps in the mid 70s. IME, they do not require a cooling period, though it might extend their lives a few years.

Relatively mild mannered for an Eartheater type, I think a male and 2-3 females would be fine in a 75. Not sure if a second male would be acceptable, as I did not keep them in a large group. They don't seem to require it like true Geos. Females mouthbrood the eggs and fry.

Thanks for the info! Whats your opinion on Red Head Tapajos in this size tank?
Dycofree

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I'd do 4-5 in a 75, but not with other Cichlids that live on the bottom.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to South American Cichlids