South American Cichlids • I Need Some Decent Ideas

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

I Need Some Decent Ideas

Postby GABBA » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:47 am

Hi.

I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank which I really need help with...

I previously had this tank set up as an all-male African tank, the colour was excellent, but the aggression was always an issue... anyway, I stuck that out for a couple of years...it is now time for a change...

So the tank has been emptied out of all African stock and now houses a 10 inch Oscar.... It's been like this for a couple of months now... I am researching what I can do with this however I am struggling to find any decent ideas.
The best I get is, add some Silver Dollars, a convict, a Severum and maybe a Chocolate cichlid...

I added the Silver Dollars but to be honest...this really isn't doing it for me... I am finding the South American option so limited... Planting it is even a risk...

If it wasn't for the personality of the Oscar I'd pack it up and go back to Africans...

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas in order to get some colour or something in the tank, because right now, it is so dull...

In a perfect world, I'd love to plant it and throw some tetras in there...but good luck with that.

Thanks!
GABBA

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I Need Some Decent Ideas

Postby The Dude315 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 am

Sorry man, not many options with a 10" Oscar... now you could do something amazing with that tank if you rehomed the Oscar. Dwarf Cichlids, Tetras, Rainbows, and densely planted... I'm strongly considering that route for my 150 all male African tank as well for the same reason. I'm sick of the fighting. In the last year I've lost at least 6 fish and given their size it would cost me $55 -$75 per fish to add similar sized fish.
The Dude315

Return to South American Cichlids