South American Cichlids • What should go in my tank?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

What should go in my tank?

Postby TIPcichlidlover » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 am

Hello--
My son has a 30 gallon tank. (Which will hope to upgrade around the holidays)
I currently have a Gold and Turquoise Severum, Electric Blue Acara and a Common Pleco. He was hoping to add a Green Terror or a Flower Horn Cichlid. Do you recommend this? If not, what would you recommend?
He had two Jack Dempsey's, but they proved to be WAY too aggressive for my liking. (gave them back to the store) We also had a Tiger Oscar, but he was picked on. (returned as well)

The Severums are pretty docile. (the Gold Severum is very protective of the Acara) We are new to the cichlid world and would appreciate any advice. Also--I keep doing 1/4 water changes every 2-3 days and the water continues to be cloudy. Any advice on that?

Thanks!
TIPcichlidlover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What should go in my tank?

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 am

TIPcichlidlover wrote:Hello--
My son has a 30 gallon tank. (Which will hope to upgrade around the holidays)
I currently have a Gold and Turquoise Severum, Electric Blue Acara and a Common Pleco. He was hoping to add a Green Terror or a Flower Horn Cichlid. Do you recommend this? If not, what would you recommend?
He had two Jack Dempsey's, but they proved to be WAY too aggressive for my liking. (gave them back to the store) We also had a Tiger Oscar, but he was picked on. (returned as well)

The Severums are pretty docile. (the Gold Severum is very protective of the Acara) We are new to the cichlid world and would appreciate any advice. Also--I keep doing 1/4 water changes every 2-3 days and the water continues to be cloudy. Any advice on that?

Thanks!

A quick search recommends 100g tank for a flowerhorn.
noddy

Postby TIPcichlidlover » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:49 am

Noddy---
Thanks for the reply back.

The people at our local pet store were recommending the Flower Horn. I have been trying to leave it up to my 1O year old son to do much of the research. I am conflicted b/c different stores and different websites tell you different thing. Seems like a lot of trial and error. My son has special needs and these fish are something that he is super interested in. I truly know nothing. I just do not want to spend my time running back and forth returning fish. :)

Are there any recommendations you could make? I think that he has enough fish in his tank. I am told different info from the workers at the pet store. I just can't make heads or tails of all their different answers. :)
TIPcichlidlover

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:00 am

TIPcichlidlover wrote:Noddy---
Thanks for the reply back.

The people at our local pet store were recommending the Flower Horn. I have been trying to leave it up to my 1O year old son to do much of the research. I am conflicted b/c different stores and different websites tell you different thing. Seems like a lot of trial and error. My son has special needs and these fish are something that he is super interested in. I truly know nothing. I just do not want to spend my time running back and forth returning fish. :)

Are there any recommendations you could make? I think that he has enough fish in his tank. I am told different info from the workers at the pet store. I just can't make heads or tails of all their different answers. :)

I honestly have never kept any of those fish but I did a quick search because I thought that flowerhorns grew quite large.
One site claimed that they grow 10-12". I don't know how true that is but that's way to big for a 30g tank.
It sounds like the store is doing what they do best, trying to sell you stuff regardless of whether or not it's the right thing to do.
I also seem to remember reading that green terrors were very aggressive.
Hopefully somebody with experience with these fish will come along and give you some better advice.
noddy

Postby The Dude315 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:03 am

If you intend to stay with this size tank or even 55-75 gallon 4 foot tanks I feel it's best to stick with dwarf cichlids. They have every bit as much personality as the larger ones... but they would have space to show their interesting behaviours. You can't listen to Pet Store people. As for the cloudiness how long has the tank been set up? Do you have an API test kit? Expect 6 weeks from the time you set up a new tank before it is inhabitable as it takes that long for the bacteria to establish themselves. You probably weren't told this.
Rather than have you go back and forth and have more and more continuous issues I would suggest returning ALL of those fish. Buy a test kit. Once the weekly tests return a 0 reading for ammonia, 0 for nitrite, and some value for nitrate you can stock. Look into Bolivian Rams. Look at the pics online to get a true representation of their beauty. Or Apistogramma... and then the various tetras... but it's alot of research to get a long term working tank... plants became a big part requiring light, fertilizers, and eventually some form of CO2. There is ALOT of learning and chemistry involved which is of substantial value. Don't get overwhelmed. Just start step by step. First step return those fish. Step 2 test kit... etc. You could start on plants now. Some java fern tied to driftwood (don't bury the roots) and some metricide on Amazon and dose 3-4 ml daily. Plants stabilize the system and fish love them. They provide an ever changing landscape. There is so much more to this hobby than selecting fish one at a time. To be successful you will have to dive into the rabbit hole though
The Dude315

Postby murph3400 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm

The discinfectant Metricide???
murph3400

Postby The Dude315 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Yes. Do not mix the reagent in the small bottle. Only the ingredient in the large bottle as it arrives.
The Dude315

Postby vikingkirken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

The electric blue acara is probably ok in the 30g. All the other fish need much larger tanks. Flowerhorns have nasty reputations for killing everything they're with, they're better off alone. Green terrors are also very territorial; they get their name for a reason!

What size tank are you looking to upgrade to?
vikingkirken

Return to South American Cichlids