South American Cichlids • Bolivian Ram struggles?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Bolivian Ram struggles?

Postby The Dude315 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I've had Bolvian Rams before and once they settle I love them...except that they can't seem to share even 4 foot tanks with smaller less dominant males. I remember losing several last time, but I believed it was from bullying. I purchased what looked like a happy young pair from a very reputable LFS. They took some time to settle... then one was dead. So I picked up 2 more... both looked good. Now 2 have paired off and one of the new ones is breathing heavy and laying on a piece of driftwood and has long stringy white poop and a thin belly. I'm not comfortable treating the whole tank for something given the plants and other fish although this is the initial stocking. No problems with the Emporer Tetras and I added a trio of blue eye rainbows. I'm hard pressed to believe it is the stores stock as they are very impressive. In honesty I accidently tossed my master test kit a couple weeks ago. The filter material is from my heavily stocked 150 African tank so I seriously doubt I had any cycle. Bolivians have a reputation as being hardy. I'm thinking I will cease the stocking until I have the Rams settled. I'm hoping to introduce some Apisto Caucatoides, but these Rams have me rethinking anything that I would have to order...
Has anyone else experienced this trouble with Bolivian Rams? Even the "sick" one has beautiful color already
The Dude315

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bolivian Ram struggles?

Postby mambee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 pm

You need to test your water first. Next, you need more driftwood or some tall plants to break up sight lines, plus some fake logs to be used as hiding places. I've kept as many as 5 Bolivians is a 90 gallon tank with no problems.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby The Dude315 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am

Well... You were right. I foolishly believed that adding 2 cycled filters would instantly cycle the tank. It did not. I added a few new additions since the cycle finished and they are doing awesome. Also set up a reactor and going to pressurized CO2.
The Dude315

Postby The Dude315 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 am

I asked the LFS to order triple reds and they got the gold ones in. Unfortunately what was sold to me as a pair is 2 males.
The Dude315

Postby mambee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Nice looking tank.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby CeeJay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 am

I bought 5 and add them to 120 gallon 48" tank. After 4 weeks I have two left and they are a pair. The male ran everyone off the bottom and the rest just seemed to just fade away. Males for there size are very aggressive my tank is even more full of plant from top to bottom and still chased every other fish away. I'm happy for the pair there breeding now and the fry made it four days before they were meals for the other 70 fish in the tank. My problem is I would love to move them to there own tank but would have to total reset and that would just be more then I would want to do. I have several different ideas to try and get some of the fry out of the tank but will have to wait until they breed again.
CeeJay

Postby dalto » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:49 am

The Dude315 wrote:I asked the LFS to order triple reds and they got the gold ones in. Unfortunately what was sold to me as a pair is 2 males.

It can be difficult to sex the line-bred forms of Apistogramma when they are small. Because of the line breeding the females often show some male traits. Have you confirmed they are both males?
dalto

Postby The Dude315 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Yes they're both males.. I ended up moving both to the lower 75 gallon and adding a Triple Red Pair to the top one. I'm either going to add a second pair to the top tank or perhaps another Apisto pair. I'm also going to do another Apisto in the bottom tank with the 2 males.
The Dude315

Return to South American Cichlids