South American Cichlids • Green Severum centerpiece 75g

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Green Severum centerpiece 75g

Postby mcgold76 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Have a 75 gallon tank with all supplies in the process of being set up. Decided to try cichlids for the first time. So did some research and decided I really like the green Severum. Having trouble deciding how to stock my tank. Do not want multiple severum. Just don't want to have babies.
One option is to have a community tank with the severum as the centerpiece. What size community fish will be safe Will corys be safe and a school of larger tetras. Maybe add an angel or another pieceful sa cichlid. Or should it be a cichlid only tank. Maybe add a blue acara and a festivum. Just looking for a few stocking options. Want to do this right and have happy fish.

Ty
mcgold76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Green Severum centerpiece 75g

Postby JRW81 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:15 pm

I've always kept corys and large bodied tetras with severums without any problems. Severums are generally peaceful. They will eat anything that will fit in their mouths but they have small mouths
JRW81

Postby mcgold76 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Any recommended tetras that won't nip and are the right size. Prefer to keep all stock South American. Planned tank now is
Green Severum
10 tetras of some sort
8 sterbai corys
Blue acara

How is that for final stock?
mcgold76

Postby JRW81 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm

I've been keeping Columbian tetras lately. I really like their colors and size but pretty much any kind bigger than a neon should be ok.

Stock sounds good. Pretty much the same as my 75 was originally going to be
JRW81

Postby mcgold76 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Leaning towards the Columbian tetras. Do I plant the tank? Been reading that severum are big plant eaters. Which vegetables should I feed them?
mcgold76

Postby JRW81 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I've heard some people are able to have plants with severums but mine have eaten every kind I've tried. Can feed peas, lettuce, spinach and zucchini
JRW81

Return to South American Cichlids