South American Cichlids • Problems w/ Texas cichlid & Oscars after buying a new Tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Problems w/ Texas cichlid & Oscars after buying a new Tank

Postby JerseyJag » Sun May 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Background: I had a 60 gallon hexagon tank, with 2 oscars, a Texas cichlid, and a firemouth. All we're purchased within the same year, all around an inch or so. The Texas was the first fish, and I later introduced the two cichlids later. They soon grew larger than the Texas, and a firemouth was purchased. The fire mouth was a bully, I mean caused absolute havoc in my tank. I decided to give the firemouth to a friend after he started biting at the fins of the other fish. I than got three silver dollars and the 6 fish were perfectly fine in the 60 gallon hex.

About a month ago I decided to purchase a 90 gallon rectangular tank as the fish have grown to about 6-8inches. Over the last month the Texas cichlid has grown drastically. I also now have a pleco in there. So about a week ago I noticed the Texas cichlid had been attacken the albino oscar, and the other day I found him laying on the gravel, covered in scraped and a large chunk missing, along with white film over his eyes. Yesterday, his right eye was gone, and his left isn't looking to well. He seems to be blind, but it swimming well dispite the large chunk missing and cut up fins. The black oscar is doing fine, but doesn't seem to get along with the Texas cichlid. I'm worried the albino is going to die off soon, and possible the same may happen to the black one

My questions follow:
Is there anything I can do, or that I can be doing wrong that is causing this? Perhaps the tank change? Not sure
If the oscars do end up going, or are removed, what fish would cooperate in a tank with a Texas cichlid, that I can purchase at a smaller size, as I don't have the ability to purchase a similar fish of size?

I am new to this forum as a poster, but have came for questions in the past and extra information. I will have pics soon once I figure out how.

Thank you all in advance!
JerseyJag

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Problems w/ Texas cichlid & Oscars after buying a new Ta

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello and welcome to C-F

Unfortunately, the 48x18" footprint is very limiting with cichlids from Central and South America. It would be considered a bare bones minimum for a lone Oscar. The aggression you're seeing is to be expected. It would be best to remove the injured fish with hopes that it recovers. That may not be the end of your issues, though. I've read several posts on this forum that indicate a Texas cichlid can sometimes coexist with an Oscar. The silver dollars may help in this instance as target fish.

I'd hold off on adding any more fish. It's a matter of the fish maturing and becoming territorial, and not changing tanks.
Iggy Newcastle

Re: Problems w/ Texas cichlid & Oscars after buying a new Ta

Postby Hybrid_Creations » Fri May 12, 2017 12:18 pm

I keep Oscars and Texas cichlids. They don't tend to get along very well with each other. Your Oscars are very slow movers compared to the Texas, and will get bullied accordingly. In my experience, Texas Cichlids need quite a lot of space to limit their aggression. They're beautiful pricks.
Hybrid_Creations

Return to South American Cichlids