South American Cichlids • Cichlid Stocking Question

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Cichlid Stocking Question

Postby Dycofree » Sun May 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Hey all, I am brand new to this forum and am excited to be here. I am the proud new(ish) owner of two Bolivian Ram cichlids (male and female from what I can tell) and wanted some advice as to where to go from here. I have had an unbelievable amount of mixed review as to what I can/cant stock from here on out so I decided to come to a Cichlid only forum to get better advice. I have a 29 gallon tank that currently only contains 4 corys cats and the 2 Bolivians. It is fairly heavily planted and has 3 Amazon Swords in it as well as two fake leafy plants. In addition, it has two pieces of driftwood (one being large and the other smaller) with plenty of pathways for my fish to swim happily. I plan on adding a third piece tomorrow. The tannins from the wood have made my tank beautiful and the fish seem to like it. The reason for my post is that I have fallen in love with cichlids now and want to be able to add at least one more to my tank. I have looked into many dwarf species and really just dont have a consensus on what to do/if i can add more. I would be totally fine being done stocking if I could add some more. Any information/advice is much much appreciated!
Dycofree

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cichlid Stocking Question

Postby Dycofree » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Or as an alternative, how many more Bolivians could I add? Thanks!
Dycofree

Re: Cichlid Stocking Question

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 am

Hello and welcome to C-F

Unfortunately, a 29 is quite limiting when it comes to cichlids. Although it sounds like the tank has plenty of cover and line of sight breaks, I think it's best to avoid anymore cichlids. What you do need is some activity in the upper portions. A small group of rummy nose tetras or hatchet fish should fit the bill.

Oftentimes hobbyists find themselves wanting more species of cichlids. Better to upgrade tank size, or start a new one. While this is not feasible for some, it's really the best option. It's also why some folks go overboard and find themselves overwhelmed with several tanks within a years time, lol.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to South American Cichlids