South American Cichlids • an addition to bolivian rams...

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

an addition to bolivian rams...

Postby Bart12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I've got a 20 long setup with sand, several plants, a few river rocks and several pieces of driftwood. This tank is in my office and helps keep me sane at work.

The current stocking is 4 bolivian rams, 3 farlowella, 1 tiny bristlenose, and 1 ghost shrimp. The bristlenose will go to another tank when it gets bigger.

I would like to add another fish of some sort...what would you do?

The rams and farlowella are chill and I love the vibe of the tank, maybe I should leave it alone. Maybe add a couple more farlowella? I've thought of some marble hatchet fish, but I haven't seen them anywhere locally. Decisions, decisions...
Bart12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: an addition to bolivian rams...

Postby Bart12 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:38 am

Anyone?

I started with 5 rams and am down to 3. They are very timid right now. The other fish are doing well. Water is good. I raised the temp to 80. It looks like I may have all females. Should I add more rams?

Do rams require high oxygen? Maybe the tank doesn't have enough oxygen?
Bart12

Postby Granamyr » Mon May 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Do you have the water parameters? Just saying it's good is relative, pH could be too high, lots of things can be off can you post the test results of the water? How long has the tank been set up?

Also a 20 long for 5 bolivians is pretty small in my opinion, they are a pretty active fish and need to be able to have their space. Bolivians also like temps closer to 75 than 80 They can handle 80 for a while but prefer it to be cooler long term.
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 7 Apistogramma Baenschi 7 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)
Granamyr

Postby Bart12 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 am

Thank you for the response. I will lower the temp. There are just 3 rams (1m, 2f I think) in the tank right now. I have not tested the ph lately. The water from the tap is pretty nuetral, somewhere around 6.8-7.0. The rams are doing better, coming out more and settling in. I have decided to chill out and let the tank be for a while. I think that my next step (in a week or 2) is too add a couple more plants and maybe a group of 6 harlequin rasboras. This would give me a fully stocked tank, IMO.

I look forward to seeing the rams display their behavior and hope that my setup will afford that.
Bart12

Postby Granamyr » Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 am

I think that sounds like a better plan to add some rasboras rather than more Rams for a 20 long. If you have 2 females and 1 male you'll likely end up having one of them get picked on quite a bit when the other 2 start to spawn.

What type of filtration are you running?
How often do you do water changes?

Good luck with the tank, the rams will be fun to watch chase each other around and flare up at each other.
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby Bart12 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:26 am

Right now I am running two Biowheel filters rated for 10 gallons each. Each has a sponge prefilter on the intake and polyfill in the filter as media (and the biowheel). My plan is to trade one of the filters out for one rated for 20 gallons, so I would still have two filters running (one 20, one 10). I do water changes of about 25% twice a week.

I will look out for aggression and remove one ram if that happens. They are still fairly young now.

Thanks again for your help.
Bart12

Postby Granamyr » Tue May 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Sounds like you have a good regimen in place. Post a picture of your tank when you get a chance, it's always fun to see tanks.
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby Bart12 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Bart12

Postby Granamyr » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 am

Why do you say they aren't very good pics? they looks pretty nice to me. Always nice to see fellow Ohioan tanks :)
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby CeeJay » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 am

I like the idea of the marble hatches. They wouldn't bother your rams and they look good at the top of your tank. Just make sure you cover the top well they like to jump.

Yes the 20 gallon pretty small for rams. I have a pair in 120 gallon and they love it in there the tanks full of plants top to bottom. I keep my temp at 76 degrees. Also I have three farlowella in there to and they get quite large my male being around 9" and the females about 8". You have pretty good bio-load it wouldn't be bad to look for a larger tank as time goes on.
CeeJay

Postby Bart12 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 am

You stop that! I don't need any encouragement to start buying more tanks again.

I still have not decided what I want to add to the tank as a long term inhabitants, so I added 6 pristella tetra for now as dithers. I will remove one of the rams, I'm starting to think that I have 2 males and 1 female right now. I will rehome the farlowella to a 125 at some point. The bristlenose will have to go away soon as well. I also added 3 more sword plants of some sort. Thanks for the input.
Bart12

Return to South American Cichlids