South American Cichlids • 75g stocking advice please!?!? ( I am very confused )

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

75g stocking advice please!?!? ( I am very confused )

Postby jessemoreira06 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 am

hey everyone, I am brand new to this forum, but I decided to get my hands on a 75g and wanted to go with some cichlid this time, it's already cycled ect.. and I already have some fish but wanted to add more and this is where I'm confused and don't know what to do with my stocking.
so far my stocking is

1 severum 3"
6 yoyo loaches

side note I will be adding 8 Congo tetras this weekend.

I don't know what else to add , here is some cichlid I've seen and like ( Keyhole , Sajica/Tbar, Acara, Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Green terror, kribensis, rams) and I'm sure their are other nice looking cichlids so if you have any other suggestion I'm open to it.

Now since I'm fairly new to this I don't want male and female combination because I don't think I'm ready to deal with the whole babies situation and as well heard basically all cichlids get aggressive during this time. So it would have to be a single fish or 2 female or 2 males.

little about my severum he is still small roughly 3" only had him for 1 month but he seems to be EXTREMELY passive and not aggressive at all!! little back story I tried adding a parrot fish to the aquarium which was slightly smaller and my parrot fish was bullying my severum to the point where he dug a whole and hid underneath a drift wood and didn't come out for 3 hours in tell I removed the parrot fish from the aquarium he then finally came out.

hopefully someone could help me out with my stocking

thanks
jessemoreira06

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75g stocking advice please!?!? ( I am very confused )

Postby thornsja19 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 am

I wouldn't call myself an expert on this but from personal experience... Keyholes would most likely be too small and timid. Not saying the sev would kill one, but you'd probably never see the Keyhole because he'd just be hiding the whole time. Oscar, JD, and GT I would probably say no to. Combination of there's a decent chance that they'd be too aggressive for the sev and that they get big enough that the tank would be overstocked. I don't have any experience with Sajica/Tbars or kribs so wait for someone else's input on that. And rams could work, or your sev could eat them when he gets full grown. Depends on the sev. I currently have a tank that doesn't have any issues thus far that has a single gold severum, a couple electric blue acara and 4 rainbow cichlids along with some tiger barbs and BN plecos. The acaras and rainbows seem to just do their own thing and pay more attention to each other instead of the others. The sev tries to bully the rainbows a little but they're way too fast for him to actually do anything. Just keep in mind that it's cichlids so everything to a degree is trial and error and there are no concrete answers to stocking a tank. Research what usually works, find a local fish store that's cool about trading fish, and go from there.
60g 1 Gold Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth, 4 Rainbow cichlid, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 BN pleco, 1 ABN pleco
10g German Blue Ram pair
3.5g Male Betta, Dwarf Cory cat
3.5g Male Betta
All tanks have MTS and Assassin snails
thornsja19

Postby jessemoreira06 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

awesome thanks alot for the reply, for some reason it never notified me of the reply.

oh ok I was reading little on the rainbows as well, thinking maybe it would be a better option than the rams or kribs. I was thinking of a stocking maybe

1 severum
1 tbar/sajica or 1 blue acara (they both grow roughly 6" but apparently tbars are less aggresive)
2 rainbows
8 Congo tetras
6 yoyo loaches

how big is your severum?
jessemoreira06

Postby jessemoreira06 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:10 pm

thornsja19 wrote:I wouldn't call myself an expert on this but from personal experience... Keyholes would most likely be too small and timid. Not saying the sev would kill one, but you'd probably never see the Keyhole because he'd just be hiding the whole time. Oscar, JD, and GT I would probably say no to. Combination of there's a decent chance that they'd be too aggressive for the sev and that they get big enough that the tank would be overstocked. I don't have any experience with Sajica/Tbars or kribs so wait for someone else's input on that. And rams could work, or your sev could eat them when he gets full grown. Depends on the sev. I currently have a tank that doesn't have any issues thus far that has a single gold severum, a couple electric blue acara and 4 rainbow cichlids along with some tiger barbs and BN plecos. The acaras and rainbows seem to just do their own thing and pay more attention to each other instead of the others. The sev tries to bully the rainbows a little but they're way too fast for him to actually do anything. Just keep in mind that it's cichlids so everything to a degree is trial and error and there are no concrete answers to stocking a tank. Research what usually works, find a local fish store that's cool about trading fish, and go from there.

I forgot to add, how long have u had this set up for?
jessemoreira06

Postby The camaro show » Sat May 06, 2017 2:19 pm

I have a festvium with a uaru and a key hole and a pair of kribs that bred and have 8 fry in my 90 with my other fish and all do great!
The camaro show

Return to South American Cichlids