South American Cichlids • How many Bolivian rams?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

How many Bolivian rams?

Postby 679x » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Going to be setting up a 4-foot 75 gallon tank in the future.

My stock plan is a shoal of Bedotia madagascariensis, cherry barbs, perhaps a larger tetra species, and Bolivian rams, the topic of this thread.

I want to know how many Bolivian rams I can keep in a 75 gallon. I want more than just a pair, but I also want some Cory catfish, if they are compatible... not 100% sure yet. If I got Cories, how many Bolivian rams could I get? And if I didn't get any cories, how many rams then?

Most of the info I can find about Bolivian ram stocking numbers is for smaller tanks like 30 gallons, etc.

Thanks in advance.
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
40 gallon and 20 gallon: L134 plecos
679x

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How many Bolivian rams?

Postby The Dude315 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I started out with 6 in my heavily planted 75. A dominant male established himself quickly and killed 3. Another died several weeks later obviously from bullying. I should have removed him, but I did not. I believe that if there are enough sight breaks and you don't get a jerk like I did that 6 would work as long as there were other dithers. I also had a group of 15 Cories. I did the panda's and I loved them. Probably could do 20. There are a lot of options with a well filtered well maintained 75 gallon especially if it is heavily planted. If it isn't densely planted Id probably hope for 4 long term. Any size group works in the beginning when theyre small. Its long term that tricky
The Dude315

Return to South American Cichlids