South American Cichlids • Does this sound right to you? Stocking Suggestion

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Does this sound right to you? Stocking Suggestion

Postby KiefKommando » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:33 pm

I am setting up my 75 gallon again as a peaceful SA community tank. I want to have two pairs of Blue Rams as the centerpiece, with about 10-12 Corydoras (not sure on the exact species yet and open to suggestions), and about 20 neon or cardinal tetras. I will have the tank moderately planted and will be using a Fluval FX5 as the filter. I am already started on the fishless cycle and even after only a few days it is going gangbusters ( the filter was used on the previous iteration of the tank so I can only assume that it helped seed this iteration). Does this stocking level seem alright? Any additions or subtractions you could suggest? I really wanted to do some LF ABN's but I have been reading they can be rough on broad leafed plants so they probably wouldn't be a good idea :?
KiefKommando

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Does this sound right to you? Stocking Suggestion

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 am

Sounds like a nice tank. Some angelfish would look nice. Or maybe an Apistogramma species.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby KiefKommando » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 am

Apistogramma Cacatuoides is what started my itch for dwarf cichlids but their setup just wasn't the look I was feeling for this tank. Now would an angel ( or maited pair?) be compatible with this tank? Or would the dwarfs need to go?
KiefKommando

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 am

Your Rams will occupy a different niche in the tank than angels. Bottom vs. Mid/Top.

If you try angels as juveniles you'll need to start with several and remove outcasts. I would definitely shoot for a pair or two. Lots of plants and wood/line of sight breaks will go a long way.

The Chicagoland has several active angel breeders. Shoot me a PM if interested....
Iggy Newcastle

Postby KiefKommando » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Thank you for all the advice, PM should be sent.
KiefKommando

Return to South American Cichlids