South American Cichlids • Electric Blue Acara

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Electric Blue Acara

Postby Julie0811 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 am

I am quickly skimming thru these post trying to figure out how to tell the difference between a male and female? Thank you
Julie0811

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fathertime » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Julie0811 wrote:I am quickly skimming thru these post trying to figure out how to tell the difference between a male and female? Thank you

Sexing Electric Blue Acara can be a bit tricky as they are almost sexually monomorphic; however, if you are working with mature EBA it's a bit easier. I am no expert on the matter by any means, but I have successfully spawned EBA on several occasions and have developed a few helpful methods of identifying males vs females.

1) In mature EBA the male is usually substantially larger than the female... For instance, my breeding male almost hits 7" in length; however, his breeding partner is only 2 1/2 inches in length, both fully grown.

2) The dorsal fins on the males tend to be longer than the females, often extending past their tail fin with a hair like extension on the tip, while the females dorsal fin will be shorter than the tail fin and be rounded on the tip.

3) the tube from which eggs/seaman is extruded is longer and more prominent on the females than on the males.

4) during courting the female will demonstrate a very dark face coloration, or as I call it the "homer simpson beard"; where as the males body tends to darken rather than his face.

I can't stress enough, the above comments are by no means an absolute method of identifying males vs females, but rather some common trends between males and females that can help make you an educated guess; but simply put, you can always be wrong even when all of the above point to that you are correct.

On a personal note... I can say that hands down this has been my favorite species to keep to date... Their mild temperament, courting behaviors(I swear mine play peekabo while guarding the eggs to pass the time), parental skills and overall beauty make them a fish that can't be overlooked!
fathertime

Postby Hillyer73 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Just showing off my pair, had two successful batches so far, on my third now.
Attachments
KIMG1109.jpg
Electric Blue acara breeding pair
Hillyer73

Postby Hillyer73 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Two..not to..Sorry, autocorrect sucks sometimes. Lol. And site won't allow my edit for some reason.
Hillyer73

Postby Deeda » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Welcome to C-F!!!

I edited your post to correct the batch number and you can only edit your post for a few minutes after posting.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby NJmomie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Hillyer73 wrote:Two..not to..Sorry, autocorrect sucks sometimes. Lol. And site won't allow my edit for some reason.

I think I also have a pair... may I ask what else you have in the tank with the pair and how large is the tank they are in? Thanks.
NJmomie

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids