South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby Granamyr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:32 am

Oh my tank has tons of decorations in it as well, there is a short video on the previous page of this thread. I have 4 pieces of driftwood. Several silk plants, some rocks. They dart to the hiding places when I walk up and if I make any motions they go crazy. I've never seen fish do things like this besides silver dollars, certainly not the other geophagus types that I've had.

If I stand there for a bit they will come back out, but I can't try to point at one of them if I'm showing the tank to someone else. When I feed them they are all about being everywhere while I'm behind the tank, but I have to move slowly when I go back to the front. My tank is built into the wall in my basement so I just have to go around a small corner to get back to the front of the tank.
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 7 Apistogramma Baenschi 7 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)
Granamyr

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Mol_PMB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 pm

This may be a daft question, but can anyone tell me which is Mum and which is Dad? I can see no difference in fin shapes or blue stripes. There is a difference in the proportions of the face, I think.

Mol_PMB

Postby Granamyr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Based on what I've read I believe on the top photo the female is on the right with the blue dots on the lower cheek and slightly slimmer body. I'm not certain though I haven't been able to tell.

An update on my fish it seems that two of them have started a mating ritual and one fish is guarding an area and I can't see what's back in there. I guess I might have some fry soon as well
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby Mol_PMB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm

The fry are eating, pooing and growing, though slowly. There has been some attrition in numbers, partly through predation by the Brochis. But still about 100 left (at a guess).
Today's surprise was in another tank, where I spotted a half-inch long L397 :)
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Some more pics of they fry. They're not great pics I'm afraid; the lighting is gloomy and the fry are tiny and fast-moving.
Also the tank is full of hairy algae which looks terrible but provides a great grazing ground for the fry. You can see some of them trailing strings of poo :)

And a stray pic of another new arrival; not sure how many I've got but there are at least five little'uns:
Mol_PMB

Postby Granamyr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:01 am

Very nice those are very cool plecos. if you're able to sell them they should fetch a nice price
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby Mol_PMB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am

I've been away for nearly a week, but am pleased to report that my arrangements to provide food to the fry seem to have worked. I still have between 30 and 50 of the little ones, which are approaching 10mm TL.
I'll try to get some more photos later.
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:28 pm

So, the little cichlid fry are still doing very well but being camera shy. In contrast, here's a little inchling L397 in one of my other tanks. There are at least 10 of them, probably more.

Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:46 pm

There are still about 50 of the little ones and I'm finally getting some better photos:

Mol_PMB

Postby joemc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:13 am

hi, I haven't logged in for ages, great to see more cupido fry, how are they doing now? stick up a video or some pictures of the fry if you get a chance, would love to see how they are doing tks
regards
joe
great pictures by the way
joemc

Postby Mol_PMB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks Joe!
I've still got about 30 fry, but they're growing slowly. At about half an inch long they're big enough to eat Grindal worms and not be predated by my herd of Brochis.
They stray further from the parents now too. I'll try and get some more pics later this week.

My life takes me away from home quite a bit, so I haven't always been able to feed as regularly as I'd like. They seem fairly hardy though, and there's a good population of micro-organisms in the tank.

Cheers,
Paul
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:06 am

Pics aren't great but the little guys are growing:

Also yesterday I spotted a few Copella meinkeni fry in another tank. That's 4 species of fry I'm raising at the mo (the others are Farlowella vittata and Panaqolus sp.L397). Busy Busy!
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:54 am

I've been away for two weeks; had a friend come in and feed the fish a couple of times. Happily I still have a good shoal of baby Cupids; I reckon about 25 but they're very hard to count. They're starting to look like miniatures of their parents and have been eating greedily since I got back.

Here are some new photos taken yesterday:

I mentioned the copellas in my last post; here's the largest of the fry about 3/4" long now:
There's more light in the Copella tank and they swim near the top, so it's easier to get good photos!
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:30 am

Some updated photos of the baby cupids. I still have about 20 of them, most about 2cm total length.

Mol_PMB

Postby joemc » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:17 am

very nice quality pictures, wish i could take some like that! can you take a few shots of the whole tank, would love to see it, or a video of them along with all the other fish, really like the tetras and plecs
joemc

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids