South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby Mol_PMB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:03 am

I've found a few more photos of the original 5. It wasn't until I looked through these that I realised quite how much they have grown and matured.

When I first got them in June 2014:

In August 2014, still barely longer than a rummy-nose tetra

4 of the original 5 in their previous tank, October 2014:

Here's a male and female lip-locking, January 2015:

A male of the original 5 in the new tank showing off the size of his mouth, February 2015:

I'll try to get some pics of the newer additions soon.
Cheers,
Paul
Mol_PMB

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RobertCupido » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:37 am

Hey Mol_PMB,

your cupidos really look amazingly colored. Yellowish flanks and deep red fins, would be nice to know where they have been caught.

Quick advice for the tank setup: I'd put in at least 5cm of sand on the ground. They really like to dig pits and sometimes chew the substrate.

Greetings from Berlin,
Robert
RobertCupido

Postby Granamyr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 am

Has anyone ever tried putting Cupids in with Severums? I have 6 cupids and looking to put 3 severum in with them. I don't see why it wouldn't work but just thought I'd see if others had ever tried it before?
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 7 Apistogramma Baenschi 7 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)
Granamyr

Postby Mol_PMB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 am

It's been a while since I visited this thread, but I did a bit of a rescape in the big tank yesterday and afterwards the cupids all came out to investigate (and probably reallocate territories). Here's a nice pic of five of them, and a slightly less well composed pic of all seven.

I've still seen no signs of breeding activity from them; they've been in here a year. Maybe they just don't like the conditions or the tankmates? The red-eye tetras spawned though and I had one survivor join the shoal, now nearly as big as the rest.

Cheers,
Paul
Mol_PMB

Anyone still around ? Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby Faaandango » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi there,
Any Cupido keepers still out there and active around here?

I finally got what was supposed to be 8 Cupidos but turned out to be 6 Cupidos and 2 Acarichthys Heckelii ...I guess the fish guy wasnt lieing when he told me they are wild caught ;)

/Nanna
Faaandango

Postby Granamyr » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:12 pm

I have 6 Biotodoma in my tank. I believe they are actually Guyana's instead of Cupido but as far as I can tell the only difference between those are that the lateral line goes into the dot instead of the dot being totally above the lateral line.

I've had mine for a little over 8 months now and are starting to look really nice. I'm hoping they start developing their yellow/orange coloring on their bodies but their fins look great.
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby joemc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:15 pm

hi, i gave away and sold off most of mine, i have just one pair left that still have not been collected by a friend, they are an F2 male and an F3 female and have spawned a couple of times in the last few months
joemc

Postby Granamyr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Just curious if this is normal behavior for these guys. I have 6 Cupidos in my 90 gallon but one of them is trying to flare their gills at the others quite often. Kinda like a firemouth does but obviously not nearly as impressive. It's kinda funny really I think it's a female as it's smaller than the 2 biggest ones I have but I can't tell the sex of them yet.

It does it the most towards the two biggest ones and sometimes shakes it's body back and forth which I would say is a mating thing if it was a ram. I haven't ever seen these guys breed though. So I'm not sure if this one is just further along mature wise or what?

Just curious if other have seen this gill flaring behavior I've never seen it in a geophagus type before.
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby joemc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:58 pm

yeah, totally normal, sounds like they are just maturing , try stick a video up if you can, would love to see them
regards joe
joemc

Postby Granamyr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Here is a short video of them. Let me know what you think. Unfortunately the one didn't really flare as much as I was expecting it to.

https://youtu.be/E686IACO4dg
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby harsmann » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi,

I have been away from this site for a while, but I got myself some cupidos for my 148 Gallon tank in the meantime, going with a school of Rednose Tetra and Corys. How nice to find this thread : )

I am looking for some extra fish for the tank - does anyone have a good suggestion?

(and now I'm off to read the 205 first posts in this thread)
140 gallon - 6 severum Rotkeil and some corys
harsmann

Postby joemc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 am

Hi Granamyr, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I looked at the video, you have a nice group of fish, with a mix of the sexes, they are a bit off spawning age I would guess and have still a bit of filling out to do,your video shows why it is good to keep them in a decent sized group as it helps prevent one fish being constantly harassed by others, looking forward to seeing this group progress and maybe some fry swimming within the year !
and a welcome to the thread to harsmann, hope you find some usefull information to help you with these fantastic little fish
regards
joe
joemc

Postby Granamyr » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:40 am

Joe,

Thanks for the response, do you by chance know the differences between Cupido's and Guyana's? I'm wondering if I have Guyana's actually since the lateral line goes into the dot instead of the dot being above the line. Also how do you tell the difference between the males and females? Is it mostly just size? I got 3 of these in June last year and the other 3 in July, obviously they do not grow very quickly. They were about 2" each time when I got the group of 3. I'm looking forward to seeing them in their adult coloration seems like it's taking a long time, however, like with most things good things come to those who wait :)
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby Faaandango » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Ohhh Im happy to see that there are still Cupido fans around.

I've had the 6 Cupidos + 2 Heckelii (which I got by accident) for a month or so now. Love them incl the two Heckeliirian intruderes.

Tried making a video ...dont mind the sound, it became a strange mix of the hyper sound from my daughters tv show and some add on ambient music ;)

https://youtu.be/y2zSZElyNi8

Wild caught so no idea of age, but still young I guess. Any input on gender?
Faaandango

Postby Granamyr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Your Heckelii look very nice. I believe your cupido's are actually wavrini though as the dot appears to be below the lateral line instead of above it.

Nice looking tank
90 gallon
Granamyr

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids