South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Great looking setup!
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RobertCupido » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Yes looks really nice the tank, try to keep the faster growing plants because they keep harmful Batterie at a very low Level.

I raised my first batch up to 4cm now, they're doing good and I gave away most of them. Only a few left, I will take some pictures next week! Next fry is already swimming free and I trink this time I leave them with the parents and try to feed extensively. I added some L75 catfish but they dont seem to interfere.

My group grew to 10 and I think the more insividuals the better the harmony.
RobertCupido

Postby everlast » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi all of u cupido keepers :)

Just wanna update things from my side and see if we can bring in any new cupido keepers.
I actually lost another cupido over the xmas period due to bullying by the rest and looking back it seems my original group of 5 fish have basically been singling out one of the 3 new fish over the last year or so and picking on them till I am at this point with the original 5 ...wierd huh . The 5 I have are strong, robust types...all able to handle themselves and I am absolutely convinced I have 3 males and 2 females.

The males have split the tank into 3 ...left, middle and right...I am going to post a youtube link to a video I managed to upload onto my sons youtube account as I was having alot of trouble with photobucket which I always used previously.

Please watch the video and make any obervations, comments...it starts with the smallest (but feisty) male in shot, you then get a flash of two females who drift around atm checking out everybody :), The biggest cupido is the male in the centre who is built like a brick sh*t house...pardon my crude acronysm :) Then the last male is the one on the right who comes into shot at the end with one of the females trying to tag along with him....he is mostly top dog but now and then the smallest male has a go ....ultimately I believe the biggest male in the middle is the one to watch as I have seen him deal with both of them but seems a little reluctant to be boss ....hope that makes sense...it will when you watch the video.

I am so keen to hear what you guys have to say about the dynamic you witness between the fish , I would also like to add that I am adding some peat into the filter and or tank tomorrow just to add a little extra nutrient quality into the water.

Aye so I will post the video here in a few minutes :)
everlast

Postby everlast » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Here is video.. :)

everlast

Postby joemc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:54 am

hi Peter, sorry for taking so long to reply to your post, your fish are looking great, they are showing the signs of fish becoming sexually mature, the female on the right of the tank in particular, along with the wannabe male that is attempting to pair with her, though she does not seem interested in him yet!
i remember this with my first fish a while back, all this frenzied activity for a while, then it just stopped, then months later started again, i did as you intend to do, added peat, leaves ramped up the water changes and water flow, all sort of an attempt to give them a final push.
I also found shifting around the aquarium decor, rocks wood etc was helpful getting the fish to re-establish their territories and stimulate spawning
p.s. i will root out that info you were looking for and mail it to you once i get a chance
cheers
joe
joemc

Postby everlast » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 pm

The fighting has intensified and the two males still have not settled whose boss, the peat has amplified behaviours like you wouldn't believe.

They are trying to claim the middle section of wood and stone while the female watches on and she is also defending the area from the other female and male (she is being really hard on the other little female)....she has intensified her colouring too, I feel I am close to getting these guys to spawn. I plan on adding a little blackwater extract and some leaves and do a little rescape tomorrow once I get my killifish colony out ....I am moving them on before all #%$& breaks loose :)

I will try and post a new video and you guys can see for yourselves just how intense things have became....I would say they are more aggressive than my angel pair ever were.....if it was angels I would know where I stood and I would have moved on all but the pair by now but I will stick it out with the group unless one really starts to go down with the continual harassment.

And the big male who was claiming the middle has lost his place to the other one and is trying to get back but for the whole day he has been on the losing end of things . One more water change/leaves etc and we will be on I would reckon :dancing:
everlast

Postby everlast » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Update :)
Both females seem to have chosen boulders which they are both defending as there territory......as for males the smallest one has came closest, he was fully extending fins, bursting with colour.....shimmying for the female ..she was doing the same but one of the other males managed to break it up........since then its more of the same, females defending there areas and the males bickering over who gets to hang out with the females.

Would like to add that I added more peat again and yeah ...its very important obviously :)

Cannot really do more at this stage , doing all I can and I am spending alot of time watching them........from what I have reported so far would you guys reckon I am close or is there any other behaviours that seem to be missing or ???......all insight appreciated :)

And would like to add that I am enjoying this period of fishkeeping so much and if anyone has cupidos......the message is ...be patient..dont give up :)
everlast

Postby everlast » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Oh would like to echo a point that Robert raised previous........both my females have little squashed silvery spots rather than the big black vivid dots of the males........coincidence maybe but seems to agree with what Robert found with his females :)
everlast

Postby everlast » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Sorry I am hogging the topic atm...I do apologise but ....yes.....came home today and female is guarding right behind the wood beside the boulder...I noticed her regurgitating a few days ago....the way my female angel used to do when about to spawn.
Anyway, she isnt letting anything in ,not even the pencilfish, I would say she has laid but I dont know for certain...cant see eggs, but the area I made behind my wood is setup in a way to give privacy so ..aye , also noticed the largest males hovering above her in a position I have never seen before ...I would say he was guarding but he looks a bit beat up and I seen her going for him too......dont know....she isnt letting anything near ...I guess I will have to wait.....tank is totally commited to the cupidos so I dont have to disturb anything.....can just leave them alone and let it play out :)
Have a little video which I will post :)
everlast

Postby Mol_PMB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:23 am

Hi All!

I've had 5 Cupids for about a year now. They were wild-caught youngsters at about 2" long but have now grown to 3" plus. I've just moved them into a new 450-litre tank and added 3 more adults 3-4" in size.

This thread looks full of useful info and great pictures so thanks for the inspiration and I hope to be able to share my experiences with these beautiful fish.

Regards,

Paul M-B.

P.S. I'm not sure how to attach an image here, so I'm linking one of my new big tank that's hosted on a different site. I hope that's acceptable. Also a closer-up pic of three in the tank I had them in previously.
Mol_PMB

Postby everlast » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Hey Paul :)
Nice to have another cupido fan jump into the topic ...nice looking fish, is that a plank of wood in the tank?....whatever it is I like it...did you get your first batch of wild fish from rare aquatics by any chance? ...that is where I got mine, I am in Scotland btw :)
I am sure some of the other guys on here will be able to offer you advice and info should you need it, its been invaluable for me ....Joe is based in Ireland and Robert is in Germany I believe.
Mine are getting really close to or have already spawned, I will post a wee update over the weekend :)
everlast

Postby Mol_PMB » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

My first 5 fish came from Rare Aquatics, the most recent 3 were from Pier Aquatics. They're all wild-caught but I don't know where either batch was caught.

The plank you noticed in my tank is actually a big chunk of slate. I spend quite a lot of time in North Wales and was able to collect some sizeable slate block offcuts and a couple of slabs that might have been meant as windowsills or similar. As you can see there are also some big bogwood branches.

The other fish in this tank are:
A shoal of 20 red-eye tetras
A herd of 8 Brochis splendens
And a juvenile (6") Pseudacanthicus L024

My tapwater is very soft (KH 0.6) and slightly acidic. I've set the tank up with a continuous drip feed via HMA filter, and an overflow to a drain. In theory it does approximately an 80% change each week but I may tweak that a little as I monitor the water parameters. Temperature currently at 25-26C.
Mol_PMB

Postby Mol_PMB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm

So, sexing Cupids. I've had a read of this whole thread and some others, and I'm still unsure. What should I be looking for?

My first 5 fish all look very similar. They all have blue iridescent lines under the eye (not spots), they all have slight points to the caudal fin. I thought they might be all males.

When I bought the new 3, I asked if they could be sexed and the assistant said yes. She identified 3 'females' by a rounded caudal and anal fin. So the new 3 don't have points on the caudal fin. Whether this is really a sexual characteristic or if it's just that they have been nipped, I'm not sure. To me, the anal fins look similar on all 8 fish. They all have iridescent lines not spots. The new fish aren't quite so deep in the body comparable to their size, but that might be indicative of feeding or age?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. I'm hoping I've avoided everlast's problem with introducing new fish, because the new 3 are all a bit bigger than the existing 5, and so the new ones have become 'boss'. There's some chasing and lip-locking but I've not seen any real violence and they often shoal together happily. The tank has lots of hiding places.
Mol_PMB

Postby joemc » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 am

hi Mol_PMB great to see another cupid keeper post on the thread, in your second pic the fish on the left is a female, slimmer body more rounded fins and the middle of the three in the same picture is a male, much deeper body, fins slightly more elongated, the third fish i think is a male but cannot see it clearly enough
sorry for the short reply, running off to do the school run, will log in later to read all the recent posts
joe
joemc

Postby Mol_PMB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 am

Thanks Joe - that's really helpful and I can see the differences now.
I think therefore that all the 3 new big fish (not pictured) are females with rounded fins and a shallower body. Of the original 5, I think it's 3M 2F though I'll need to get a picture of them all together to confirm.
Cheers,
Paul
Mol_PMB

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids