South American Cichlids • Biotodoma Cupido

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Biotodoma Cupido

Postby joemc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:34 am

here's a short video of the fry taken to show their development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlErQQfN68
joemc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby everlast » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 pm

wow guys.....awesome shots of the little fry ....gj Robert!!.... and Joe.....the footage of all those little uns...so cool man :)

Ill post some updates soon, quite happy to check out your updates for now :)
everlast

Postby joemc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:01 pm

cheers, you will have to excuse the music, not really my choice, just what was handy, I just looked at the video myself now and I see at the 40 second mark you can see another pair with a batch of eggs on a rock. these fry will end up as food for the larger offspring, not really a lot I could do about it other than remove all the existing youngsters which would be hard work :roll:
joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:50 am

just to give you guys an update:

I gave up on trying to let the parents raise their fry. The Dicrossus filamentosus are picking the young one by one and they do not grow fast enough to escape the dangerzone.

I separated some 100 in a box in the same tank and within the first day, I could see the difference in growth and of course they're all well , safe from predators. I guess my tank has too much structure because for the parents it is easier to defend in open plaines rather than surrounded by structure. They cant realise approaching predators soon enough if its on the radar that late.

I left some of the young with the parents and no mather how much they tried, after one week they disappeared.

Fotos of the box (which has an own air driven Filter) will follow soon.

How are you guys doing?
RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm

good to hear Robert, looking forward to the pictures, I took another video of my last batch of young on the 20th of august to compare their growth rate with the previous video, I will try uploading it tonight
joemc

Postby joemc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm

joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:28 am

Incredible Joe! Thats 3cm in 1month. Did you start when they were swimming free, when hatched or spawned? it took mine like 10 days to swim free.

And I noticed the grow very slow. Are the parents wild caught? It might be, that the growth rate gains in tank bred the further away from the Wild Caught.

I think spawning was like 3 weeks ago, now they barely have 7 to 8mm length:

RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:04 am

hi Robert, great photos , I hope you succeed with the fry this time
the fish in the video are the two batches of fry that became free swimming on the 1st or 2nd of june and the 11th of june, I have just been doing a monthly update on them to show their growth rate, yes they do grow fast, some are now 4 cm, in the video you can see two distinct sizes in the group from the two different spawns along with some outliers both bigger and smaller,
in both these spawns I have only noticed 2 fish with problems, one a damaged right eye, maybe from an injury and one with a dent along the run of its back probably a birth defect, I will cull both as they are caught to move on as catching one individual fish out of 150-200 is not possible.
the larger fish from the first spawn are from wild parents so are F1
the smaller fish, 10 days younger are from two of the captive bred fish I held back so are F2
joemc

Postby RobertCupido » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:47 am

Could you estimate a difference in growth then?

So its 4cm in 4month... I was just really worried and thought your fish hatched something like end of july and became this big in 6 to 8 weeks. That would implicate a serious growth problem with mine... But I guess they are doing fine in their small extra tank. I also change a lot more Water, around 5 to 10% daily.

You are keeping them with the parents in the main tank? With my structure and community... they dont stand a chance unfortunately. I would have to reduce the structure but I really like the tank setup so I have to live with the "imperfect" setup.

Now I cant tell if some of the fish got injured during the transfer or have some other disabilities.
RobertCupido

Postby joemc » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:57 am

hi Robert the fish in the last video are ten to twelve weeks old
joemc

Postby everlast » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 am

Still here guys.........still keep an eye on how things are coming along........well done Robert :) I have changed my setup and introduced more plants.......fish are doing great but no spawning activity of note as yet ....I will post some photos of setup and fish soon :)
everlast

Postby everlast » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:34 am

Just as an observation and a personal note to myself when I check on the forum I would like to add that at present my cupidos are approximately 1 year 2 months .... (an approximation as we assessed that my young fish were around 3 months when I got them late last year ). I know you guys have covered this ...particularly you Joe but when have you seen them spawn .....from what age??
Also had the opportunity to perhaps add a couple more wild adults into the group but was scared it might be detrimental to the colony as it stands .
everlast

Postby joemc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:57 am

hi everlast, good to see you stick a post up, my original group of wild caught fish were 2 years of age when they started breeding, but the offspring I held back have been spawning at approx. 1 year of age. I think if I were you I would stick with the group of fish I had and let them develop rather than risk upsetting the group by adding more.
looking forward to seeing some nice full tank shots and a video!!! hint hint!
on another note this thread you started hits one year of age tomorrow and has been viewed over 18,000 times putting it into the top ten most viewed threads on the south American section! so these are definitely a fish that interests people
cheers
joe
joemc

Postby joemc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 am

here is a short video i took of the fry a month later,I forgot to upload it at the time and never noticed the quality is not great but you can see how much they have grown in approximately one more month some have been moved on and the rest should be going to new homes shortly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_kVD3gqNI
joemc

Postby everlast » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Hey guys......how are your young doing Robert?....below I have a tank shot of my current setup, I am intending of adding more anubias and less stem plants as the cupidos keep pulling them out around the "spawning boulders" I placed at the back.... a bit of rampant vandalism around a potential spawning site is always good :)
I have witnessed some unfamiliar colour changes of two of the fish , particularly one that hangs around the stones, turning almost completely black, they are thinking about doing something and dont like me looking in the tank whilst they are thinking about doing the thing that I am not sure what it is they are doing ;) ....strange little fish!! :)

Aye so less stem plants, more anubias (my favourite plant ever ...cheers Joe^^) and come on team cupido!! :)

everlast

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids