South American Cichlids • Can Bolivian Rams Breed with German Blue Rams?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Can Bolivian Rams Breed with German Blue Rams?

Postby Cvurb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Someone told me this, I'm 99% sure they are wrong, but can someone back me up on this one?
Thanks! Btw I know it is a stupid question.
Cvurb

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby aquariam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Absolutely impossible. They're mistakenly in the same genus IMO and I have no doubt that the Bolivian Ram will be moved out very soon. Absolutely not similar water parameters where they are collected, very discimilar body shape, discimilar behaviour. Bolivian Rams have dominant larger females, vs larger males for blue rams.

Not possible.
aquariam

Postby Darkside » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Its probably possible. If you can cross a Tropheus with an Melanochromis auratus then you should be able to cross a more closely relate species of substrate spawners. As far as I remember these fish both have the same number of chromosomes so crossing them is not out of the realm of possibility. Just because fish are in different genus doesn't exclude them from crossing.
Darkside

Postby Dutch Dude » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:41 am

Everyone seems to forget these two species have very diferent needs. To combine both in one tank would make a lot of compromises necessary. So I would not be woried at all if they cross breed (extremely unlikely) but I would be more woried abouth health.
Dutch Dude

Re: Can Bolivian Rams Breed with German Blue Rams?

Postby Ayebeez-fisheez » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:46 pm

I have gbr ebr gold ram and bolivians all spawning in the same tank..
Ayebeez-fisheez

Postby Ichthys » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:38 pm

If it was possible it would have been done by now, and nobody has ever seen one....

Also as Dutch Dude said, they shouldn’t even be in the same tank.
Ichthys

Postby Ayebeez-fisheez » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:01 pm

The same way ppl told me I'll never get them to breed coz I'm new to the hobby? Fish are adaptable, in the wild the temp tds ph etc is never the same consistently. There will always be variations in weather lighting temps and ph etc. A slight temp ph and tds adjustment wont harm the fish imo.. and they're literally all having huge spawns back to back. I registered to this forum to seek knowledge, not to read negative comments. Btw I've seen ppl keep and breed these fish in extreme parameters. Tds over 500ppm ph 7.8 to 8 and temps at low to mid 70s... all very healthy and spawning like mad. 1 thing I've learnt in the hobby is ppl like to make out that its rocket science. IT IS NOT. Now i dont know if they're trying to discourage me or if they're just straight up haters... either way i still listen to what ppl have to say never know what i can learn.. but saying they cant be kept together is bs.. bolivians "require" 76°F germans 80°F... that is such a small difference in temp it would never EVER harm them... is their natural habitat consistent? I highly doubt it and all water parameters will vary depending on that specific species' collection point. The reason why i searched if bolivians could x with germans is coz i spent 2 hours watching a male german courting a bolivian... you know what im goin to put them in a 20G and see if it works. I have 11 pairs of different rams with literally 1000s of fry. So imo it's worth a try
Ayebeez-fisheez

Postby sir_keith » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 am

Really? Aren't there more than enough interspecific hybrids in the hobby already? I thought we were trying to take care of our fishes, not destroy them. :(
sir_keith

Return to South American Cichlids