South American Cichlids • Real or Fake Rocks?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Real or Fake Rocks?

Postby Cook.MN » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:52 pm

So this week I'm going to be setting up a SA community tank. I have a pair of Apisto's as the center point of the tank along with 5 Panda corys and two small schools of tetra of 6-8 in each. For aquascape going to do a planted tank with large pieces of driftwood.

I currently have 3 fake rocks.

2 x of these:

1 x of these

I also have a lot of river rock sitting in my garage. So I'm torn which way to go, I mean the fake rocks have nice built in caves but I do like the natural look...of which the fake rocks do have a natural look to them.

I'm torn...
Cook.MN

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Joels fish » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:09 pm

If the tanks big enough use both. The little cave rocks will give the fish hidding places if they need them , and the river rock IMO always is a good addition to just about any aquascape .
nothing until I can find a decent fish store in East Tennessee
Joels fish

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Except there are few rocks in most apisto's natural habitats. :roll:

However few tanks really resemble any fishes natural habitats. So I'd add one of the first fake rock. The female will more than likely establish this as the center of her territory, and use it as a breedinf cave.
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby Cook.MN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Yeah that's why I liked the fake ones, so the female could use that as a breeding cave, I mean I could try to do that with real rocks but it would be a lot easier to just stick a fake one in there and be done with it :p
Cook.MN

Return to South American Cichlids