South American Cichlids • Is this a rotkiel?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Is this a rotkiel?

Postby andrew__ » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Was at a LFS today and noticed a nice looking fish labeled "Turquoise Severum" for $7. Little guy's about 3" not including tail & very shy. Looked fairly healthy but what interested me were the red markings along the edge of his (?) gill plate - so I'm thinking is this actually a rotkiel that's been mislabeled? I know in the same store they had A. goldsaum labeled as rivulatus so it wasn't a big stretch to think they've got him wrong as well...

Next question - at this size how cooperative would he be in a planted tank for a month and a half until I can get my 5' tank set up? it's a 3' 30gal heavily planted or I could set up a 2' 20gal for him alone, bare bottom etc though this isn't actually a reasonable thing to do as I'm leaving for Europe and for a while and my mom will be watching all my fish for me until June... so working him into my current tank would be ideal. (Alternatively, I can move my plants into another tank for the time being as they wouldn't need water changes all that much... so I guess there are other options here...

(oops, forgot the pic!)

sorry about quality, tank was not well lit and it took a long time waiting for him to move towards the front of the tank for the shot anyway, very shy fish at the moment...
Tanks:
30gal salt water
5' 65: Rotkiel Sev, 6 juvie Laetacara dorsigera, Female Bolivian Ram, bleeding heart tetras, cherry barbs, plecos and corys
andrew__

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm leaving for Europe and for a while and my mom will be watching all my fish for me until June...

This is the bit that concerns me, not the idea of a 3 inch severum going into a 3 foot tank for a couple of months. It sounds like your going for atleast a month or longer.

Is your mum going to doing water changes while your away? and not just feeding your fish.

Also what else is in your 30 gallon tank?
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby andrew__ » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:49 pm

I'll be gone for 6 weeks. She has a turtle and sort of knows her way around aquariums & knows the importance of regular water changes. Before I leave I'll make sure she knows everything about the tank with a detailed maintenance schedule outlining feeding (as light as is reasonable to minimize problems), ferts, water changes (frequent and small, test water for nitrates), etc.)

The other fish are a pair of Bolivian rams, about 7 or so large emperor tetras, medium sized bn plecos, 1.5"+ corys & some 1" ottos - so mostly cleanup crew as well, & no small fish to be eaten. I will be doing some creative scaping to make sure the rams get one half and the sev gets the other - I'm not going to be there so it doesn't have to look nice :lol:
Tanks:
30gal salt water
5' 65: Rotkiel Sev, 6 juvie Laetacara dorsigera, Female Bolivian Ram, bleeding heart tetras, cherry barbs, plecos and corys
andrew__

Postby andrew__ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:36 pm

brought him home with me today, he's going to be a stunner once he gets bigger than 2-3" :D

Tanks:
30gal salt water
andrew__

Return to South American Cichlids