South American Cichlids • Would an Oscar love chocolate!!

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Would an Oscar love chocolate!!

Postby Malawidolphin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:55 am

I have a Chococlate cichlid and up until now I have mostly kept rift lake cichlids. Would an Oscar be a good tank mate long term? My chocolate is about 4 ish inches and I would like a cichlid that is close in size when grown. Chocolates are rarely seen around here so finding one of opposite sex for this one, when I don't know what it is, will be impossible. This is my first "large" fish.
Malawidolphin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Bigboystyle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Originally I thought you meant feeding it chocolte lmao

But as with most fish - its a trial and error situation. Some fish get along while others dont - doesnt always depend on the species either. I would just try it out and see if anyones fins get damaged in the first couple of days.
Bigboystyle

Postby Burtess » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

I just tried out this very thing. About the same size as yours as well... the chocolate beat on the oscar, and after I put in an egg crate divider, proceeded to rip the oscars mouth off through it.
Give it a shot, hopefully your chocolate isn't so aggressive as mine... be ready with another plan of action though..

Burt :)
Burtess

Postby BlackShark11k » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Really depends on tank size...
BlackShark11k

Postby Malawidolphin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:45 pm

The tank is only a 90 gal 4ft long. My Chocolate was taking a beating from a single firemouth in the tank. The firemouth was relentless so I removed him. The Chocolate is much more confident now and swims around and changes color from the brownish/purple to the greenish sheen with purple-ish fins. I guess I won't know if it works until I try, but if a larger breed fish doesn't work then I have nowhere else to put the new fish if I have to remove it.
Malawidolphin

Return to South American Cichlids