South American Cichlids • Number of Bolivian Rams in a 29 gallon

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Postby Dutch Dude » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Oooh they sure do! Once you raised a couple of fry you know how they develop. I seen cheap Bolivians in the lfs with all sort of deformities and showing orange bellies at the age of abouth 5 months. This isn't normal development! Unfortunately lots of bad qualety fish come from SE Asia and even shops begin to complain abouth bad qualety fish.

I takes a Bolivian abouth 1.5 to 2 years to become full adult. They can be sold at the age of 5 months but hardly show color. Grow them the natural way to a decent size and some moderate colors takes abouth 8 months. If the fish would cost $50 this would be interesting for fish farms,.....but they are cheap dwarfs. So they increase growth with hormones and treat the fish with meds to avoid illnesses. Normally parent raised fry will go trough a natural selection and only healthy and strong fish make it to become adults. In the fish farms all fish get raised and lots of deformed fish come on the market. Most seen are high bodied fish (just like the balloon rams witch is a deformity as well), bend spines, deformed face / mouth and deformed fins. Soooo,.....not all Bolivians are of poor qualety BUT,....keep your eyes open when you buy them. Best qualety are from people in the hobby and local breeders,...unless your from SE Asia :wink:
Dutch Dude

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ridley25 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 pm

Dutch Dude, would you be kind enough to post some pictures of some ideal Bolivians with their approximate ages noted?

I'm extremely new at this, so the more info I can gather, the better.
ridley25

Postby DeadFishFloating » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm

ridley25 you have no idea what you just asked!
Between Dutch Dude and Blairo1 they have enough photos to fill up 100 pages.
It's probably going to take Dutch Dude a couple of hours just to sort through which pics he'll post.

:P

In the mean time.

A good start would be thier profile.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=420
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby Dutch Dude » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:13 am

Hahaha,...I would like to help you out on pics but it is indeed an awful lot of work,....and after a computer crash I lost quit some pics as well. But,.....there are a lot of pics at the BRC treat. Pics of fry and of young adults and also lots of info abouth grow rate and "normal" size at a certain age. I think you should be somewhere around page 30 or so and start at the date of January 2007. Sooo,...now you have something to do, hahaha! If you like the info I suggest to read the whole BRC treat. If you reed trough it you get ALL the info you need on the specie and came by a lot of pics of tank set ups and fish. It will take some time but if your realy are interested in the specie and want to know all the important ins and outs it is absolutely worth it.
Dutch Dude

Postby ridley25 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks for the page reference. That thread is so long I feel like I might get farther looking for Ram info in "War and Peace."
ridley25

Postby cichlidaholic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am

ridley25 wrote:Thanks for the page reference. That thread is so long I feel like I might get farther looking for Ram info in "War and Peace."

I know what you mean!

It's turned into an epic novel!

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Postby andrew__ » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 pm

ridley25 wrote:
I'd suggest checking out more than one LFS. Also talk your mate into going with a trio of apistos.

Good advice that will be followed. I've been looking for Bolivians, Blue Rams and Apistos in Southern Ontario, but so far I've only found Bolivians.

If you're willing to drive a little check out the Kitchener-Waterloo Aquarium Society website, there are a couple of us there who keep various dwarves - odds are you'll be able to find almost anything and good quality as well. (I got my rams off the appropriately named apisto-nut and couldn't be happier with them)
Tanks:
30gal salt water
5' 65: Rotkiel Sev, 6 juvie Laetacara dorsigera, Female Bolivian Ram, bleeding heart tetras, cherry barbs, plecos and corys
andrew__

Postby ridley25 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:01 am

If you're willing to drive a little check out the Kitchener-Waterloo Aquarium Society website, there are a couple of us there who keep various dwarves

Wow, Kim was right in that there's no shortage of fish in the Golden Horseshoe (smoggy Horseshoe?).

Once I'm planted and cycled I've got some posting/phoning and driving to do. I definitely like the idea of getting my cichlids from hobbyists instead of LFS.
ridley25

Postby Dutch Dude » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:31 pm

I definitely like the idea of getting my cichlids from hobbyists instead of LFS.

Overall the best qualety healthy fish!!! And,....in most cases cheap to! :thumb:
Dutch Dude

Postby t0p_sh0tta » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 pm

^ I've experienced this unfortunately. I had been looking high and low for rams locally, and finally one LFS had some in stock. They were young adults, and had beautiful coloration. They've dulled down a bit, but they don't look terrible.

I had 2 sets pair off from the bunch and 1 won't stop spawning, while the other's eggs don't hatch.

I recently ordered some juveniles from Jeff Rapps (TangledUpInCichlids.com), and they're awesome. Tiny, but they have more color at 1", than my dominant male does from the other batch.
t0p_sh0tta

Postby Dutch Dude » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:25 pm

I recently ordered some juveniles from Jeff Rapps (TangledUpInCichlids.com), and they're awesome. Tiny, but they have more color at 1", than my dominant male does from the other batch.

That's odd! At one inch they normally don't show much color. Or,....the other fish are realy very pail in coloration!
Dutch Dude

Postby cichlidaholic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:53 pm

I have some little ones that are about an inch and showing red on the pelvic and anal fins...No yellow in the body yet, but the red is clear as day. (I've got others the same size that aren't showing any colour yet, though!)

Kim
110G - Perspicax Red Top Ndumbi, Demasoni, Yellow labs, Metriaclima Callainos

Check out the blog on the home page if you haven't already!!!
cichlidaholic

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids