South American Cichlids • Male or female green terror.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Male or female green terror.

Postby Rahulrk » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:06 am

Is it male or female green terror.It is now grown up and I think it will be easy to identify now...
If this one is a female then I need some tips to get a male while purchasing for a male.Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210610_193015~2.jpg
Rahulrk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Male or female green terror.

Postby Rahulrk » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Old image
Attachments
IMG_20210216_171043_2.jpg
Rahulrk

Postby BC in SK » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:47 pm

IMO, it is likely male.
Even very colorful females usually don't have that much color on the fins. I am not referring to the orange trim so much, but rather the rest of the fin which is often very much lacking in color on most females.
Even from your old photo, I did think it was probably male based on the color of the fins, though wasn't sure enough either way to post my opinion. The white stripes on the body (in the old photo) are more typically expressed by females, though sometimes young males do show this. May very well have as much to do with pecking order as it does with sex of the fish.
BC in SK

Postby Rahulrk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks for reply
Rahulrk

Postby Auballagh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 pm

I'm gonna stay with: That is a very good-looking female Green Terror.
- Looks deeper bodied, more 'chunky' than a male.
- The orange caudal/tail markings, visibly have a very sharp, clean line. That orange band is also relatively narrow in width.
- Those white bands on both sides of the mid-body spot, are a strong female characteristic when very young.
-
The best method I know of to get a proven Male/Female combo is to get 6 to 8 baby fish and raise them up together in a grow out tank. Eventually a spawning pair will emerge from that school of baby Green Terrors.
* BOOM*
There's your male Green Terror. :D
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby BC in SK » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:07 am

Auballagh wrote:- Those white bands on both sides of the mid-body spot, are a strong female characteristic when very young.

It's a pretty good indicator as a large adult as large adult females typically express it, where as large adult males typically do not. Its not so clear cut on younger fish as no question about it, many, many young males will exhibit this trait at least at some point in time. Like most cichlids, juvies will resemble females more so, and as the fish develops the male traits become more obvious.
BC in SK

Postby Rahulrk » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Raised this one from juvenile.Was expecting for a male but still not sure about it.Not interested in breeding green terror was only looking for a good looking male because of colour and its hump.Now i am not going to change this one keeping this one.Good personality never attack any other fish and also good looking.So finally keeping this one without any concern about gender.Thanks for your opinion guys.....
Rahulrk

Return to South American Cichlids