General Aquaria Discussion • Water help!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: Water help!

Postby Deeda » Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Not sure what they may call it in England but look at a Y-splitter made for garden hose use. If your faucet has a separate spigot for both hot and cold water AND your faucet threads accept a garden hose fitting, you might be able to DIY a solution using a short length of hose from each spigot, connect them to the Y-splitter, adjust the combined water flow to tank temperature and then fill your tank that way.

A pic of your kitchen faucet or tap may be helpful to figure out a solution.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby shiftyfox » Sat May 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Twice a day is how I feed mine, some like once a day, some may only feed 6 times a week having a ‘starve day’
Sounds like your feeding about right to me.
Just remember the more you feed the more waste they produce meaning higher nitrate levels.
I guess as they get older I generally look at there bellies, if I they are flat or sunken you may not be feeding enough, I like to see nice curves, don’t like to see overfed fat fish.
Sunken bellies however is likely that your fish has bloat.
If you look up ‘Seachem alert combo’ they do a dual pack, one is for ammonia the other for Ph, they just sit inside the tank and constantly monitor.
shiftyfox

Postby Chrislisk » Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 pm

So I ordered the seachem alert combo so thanks for the heads up! Seems like a very clever idea.....if it works ok. Thousands of reviews on Amazon says it does so I’m looking forward to getting mine in!
Also I have decided to split the 50% water change into three this week after what has been said about the temperature hit doing it all at once, first one done today so I’ll do the other three over the week to Sunday. Much quicker for me!!! I watched the water temperature after I did the change and I saw no change in it from 80 at all!
Chrislisk

Postby shiftyfox » Mon May 25, 2020 5:01 am

They are a great visual aid. I’ve tested the ammonia alert with Dr Tims ammonia so can confirm it does what it says it should.
I took a small tubs worth of my tank water and tested it with the master test kit for ammonia which I knew would be 0ppm and it was.
I dropped in the ammonia alert and left it for about an hour and there was no change, dot in the middle stayed pure yellow ie no sign of free ammonia NH3
I then added a few drops of Dr Tims ammonia and within a minute the yellow dot had changed from yellow to a purple/blue colour ie showing the presence of ammonia.
Took it out of the tub rinsed with tap water and but it back in a fresh tub of tank water and the purple dot went back to yellow in about 10 minutes.
Like I say great visual aid but still use a master test kit now and then to confirm all of your 3 main parameters are stable.
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 am

Chrislick there is no need to keep your tank at 80 degrees. 78 degrees is plenty and it will help with your cold water changes and aggression and it is healthier for your fish.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Mon May 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Ok I will tweet my heater! Thanks
Chrislisk

Postby Deeda » Mon May 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Chrislisk wrote:Ok I will tweet my heater! Thanks