General Aquaria Discussion • Spilled Aquarium Water Need Ideas!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Spilled Aquarium Water Need Ideas!

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:43 am

Hey guys, I recently bought a brand new FX6 and installed it on my 135 gallon tank 2 days ago. I was so excited I forgot to clamp down the hoses on the canister. I woke up in the morning to low tank water and that waterfall noise. I knew something was up right away and checked the filters. There was a slow leak coming from the hose that lasted about 8-10 hours before I caught it. I ended up losing 15 gallons of water on my carpet. I need some ideas on how to clean this up the best I can. Here is a list of what I have done.

Started with carpet cleaner to suck as much water up from the carpet. I got about 4 or 5 gallons this way.
After about 5 hours of carpet cleaner I laid towels on it. It was still soaking wet! Every time it was dry, it got wet in a matter of minutes. I decided towels were obviously not enough.
I did what I didn’t want to do, I cut the carpet in order to blow a shop vac under the carpet. It blew everything within 10 feet up like a balloon. I’ve had that running for about 16 hours now. The carpet is still wet!
Luckily it is concrete and not wood under my carpet. I do have extra carpet padding in case replacing that might be the way to go (I would have to cute about a 6 square foot spot into my carpet to do this).

My main concern is, will I have to move this tank to get underneath it? Obviously that is a cost and operation that I do not want to endure unless absolutely necessary, and I definitely don’t want to deal with mold! This is my show tank and it’s right in my living room, so as you can imagine I have a very unhappy family, and I would like this cleaned with as little of an eye sore as possible, but I’ve already gone rug shopping.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Thanks everyone.
nickthefoxtoy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Spilled Aquarium Water Need Ideas!

Postby Ryanblackheart » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 am

I’ve not experienced this particular issue but I’ve dealt with a damp apartment before and if there is water in flooring, carpet and walls etc I would recommend you Rent a dehumidifier and run it for a few days / week this will draw out moisture you won’t get with a towel or vacuum, even if your aquarium is open topped it won’t be an issue, I know people with basement fish rooms run dehumidifiers year round to combat the moisture from tank evaporation Into their homes with no ill effects on the tanks or fish :)
Ryanblackheart

Postby Ryanblackheart » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 am

I have removed the vendor due to forum rules but here is a generic example of an industrial dehumidifier including Cost and efficiency for about £45 you can have it for a week and potentially draw out 25 litres a day :) obviously keep an eye on your aquarium water level while you are running one :)
Attachments
3B651818-387E-4297-B538-8E518A70B20C.jpeg
Ryanblackheart

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Thank you for the idea! I got a smaller one and have it running. Just an update I have been running the fan under the carpet and it seems to be drying very well. Hopefully no mold or tank movement is in my future.
nickthefoxtoy

Postby Ryanblackheart » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 am

Amazing news :)))
Ryanblackheart

Return to General Aquaria Discussion