Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Activated Carbon recomenations

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Deeda 
#1 ·
So I bought some API carbon not too long ago. I used it yesterday for the first time. I was surprised how small it was, too small for my mesh bags. And really dusty. Does anyone have a recommended brand that is bigger chunks and a good bang for the buck?

TIA

Rob

#4 ·
Deeda said:
Rob, you could always use the existing small carbon in a scrap piece of women's nylon stocking and knot it so it doesn't escape.

I don't use carbon in any of my tanks so can't help with larger size pieces.
Just curious why no carbon in your tanks? First time for me, I don't make a habit of it. Tank was a little yellowish even with weekly water changes so I though I'd try the carbon. I'll check tonight if it was effective or not.

Also, how far are you from Big Rich and Ohio Fish Rescue?

#5 ·
Rob, no particular reason I don't use carbon besides the minimal expense. I find that my tanks are clear enough for my viewing pleasure. I did purchase bulk activated carbon from a OCA club member a few years ago and tried some in one of my tanks and didn't notice any difference so I sold the remaining 1.5 lbs at club auctions. However if one should ever use medications in a tank, it would come in handy to remove any remaining meds.

I'm about 15 minutes away from Big Rich and attended a local club visit there a couple months ago before he started the upgrade on his pool conversion to fish pond. Nice guy and doing the best he can for the fish he keeps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.