General Aquaria Discussion • Clear water

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Clear water

Postby Joey85 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:41 am

What’s everyone’s opinion on maintaining a crystal clear fish tank ?
Joey85

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Clear water

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:08 am

I have never had water that was less than clear. The usual toxins are also clear. Is your water greenish or is the cloudiness white?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Joey85 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Oh no my water is fine at the moment mate, was just saying, those fish tanks you see were they are just crystal clear water absolutely spotless is there a secret to that.. or just regular water changes
Joey85

Postby Steve C » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Over filtration, regular WC's, and filter floss all are keys to crystal clear water. On larger tanks if you set up your canister filter(s) with mechanical and bio, then a separate filter (either canister or HOB) with nothing but floss to polish the water it makes it look as clear as it can get.
120g Bichir
75g Oscar
Koi pond
20g Bichir grow out
Steve C

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 pm

The only reason you should ever have water that is less than crystal clear:
- algae bloom
- bacteria bloom
- plants (they generate debris)
- less than thorough cleaning of the substrate when first putting it in
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I will also add that if your water source is high in a certain type of iron, you may also experience yellowish colored water. I have a private water well with clear iron (what a misnomer!) and use it for all my aquariums. I don't notice the slight discoloration in my tanks for some reason but do see it in sinks and appliances.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby wryan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:18 pm

A filter that uses diatomaceous earth (Marineland Magnum, Vortex D-1, etc) can make your water sparkle ... but they tend to require frequent maintenance because they tend to filter even the smallest particles. Figure maybe 5 to 7 days at most.

Good for when guests are coming over or when you plan on doing some photography ... :D
wryan

Postby james1983 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Steve C wrote:Over filtration, regular WC's, and filter floss all are keys to crystal clear water. On larger tanks if you set up your canister filter(s) with mechanical and bio, then a separate filter (either canister or HOB) with nothing but floss to polish the water it makes it look as clear as it can get.

This is what I've found to work also. I have an fx5 and fx6 on my 125, but still had small particles floating around. I added a Rena xp3 with nothing but sponges, pillow fill and purigen and the water is crystal clear. It would probably work if I added finer material to one of the fx's, but with it clogging so quick, the xp3 is easier to pull out and take apart to clean
james1983

Postby Joey85 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:55 am

james1983 wrote:
Steve C wrote:Over filtration, regular WC's, and filter floss all are keys to crystal clear water. On larger tanks if you set up your canister filter(s) with mechanical and bio, then a separate filter (either canister or HOB) with nothing but floss to polish the water it makes it look as clear as it can get.

This is what I've found to work also. I have an fx5 and fx6 on my 125, but still had small particles floating around. I added a Rena xp3 with nothing but sponges, pillow fill and purigen and the water is crystal clear. It would probably work if I added finer material to one of the fx's, but with it clogging so quick, the xp3 is easier to pull out and take apart to clean

What media do you have in your fx’s?
What’s an xp3 internal sponge filter?
Joey85

Postby james1983 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 am

Ceramic rings, pot scrubbers, and whatever sponges came with them. The xp3 is another canister filter made by Rena/API.
james1983

Return to General Aquaria Discussion