General Aquaria Discussion • My Zebra Nerite Snails have babies (in fresh water)

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

My Zebra Nerite Snails have babies (in fresh water)

Postby slava2929 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 pm

I bought 6 zebra Nerite snails about six months ago and I read that they can lay eggs, but the eggs don't hatch unless they are in salt water. I'm here to tell you that's not entirely true. I suspect I have about 4 females and they have laid scores of eggs in the last six months. Today I noticed that I have a few baby zebra nerite snails in my 100% freshwater 20 Long. It's not exactly an infestation , but please know that you're going to get some babies even if you keep them in fresh water.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: My Zebra Nerite Snails have babies (in fresh water)

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 pm

How do you know that the baby snails are nerites? Maybe you have some common snails as well without realizing? Did you add fish recently? Mine often come with MTS.

The nerite eggs...I would not characterize them as "scores" when they lay eggs. Maybe a contents couple dozen...they look like separate white spots and are hard/difficult to remove from the glass even when the babies have dried up.

If you really have nerite babies publish a paper on how you did it because many have tried. Logically it does seem it should be possible, but most cannot make it happen.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: My Zebra Nerite Snails have babies (in fresh water)

Postby slava2929 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 am

I can't say definitively that they're nerite snails although the tank was a spare tank that had been sitting fallow for a few weeks and I haven't added any fish to it for a while. And I strongly disagree with you on the number of eggs my nerites have laid. I have six and I assume at least four of them are female and there is NO QUESTION they have laid at least two hundred eggs easy in my tanks over the last few months.

Ultimately I'm going to have to wait and see what the snails turn out to be, but if they were hitch-hiker snails, I have no idea how they got past me. Either way, I'm glad to have a few free snails of any kind because it's always nice to get free stuff.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Return to General Aquaria Discussion