General Aquaria Discussion • 40 gallon breeder questions

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

40 gallon breeder questions

Postby ShackleZ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:27 pm

I am currently running a 29 gallon cichlid tank and wanting to upgrade to a larger tank(40 gallon). So 2 years ago I bought a aqua clear 110. And also bought the glass top for a 75 gallon aqueon. So as it stands I cannot afford the exspensivetank or can my floor handle the weight where I moved to.

So I am wanting to get a 40 gallon breeder which is cheaper and a lot less weight compared to the 75 gallon.

Can I run the 110 aqua clear filter in the 40 gallon breeder tank or is that filter overkill?

Also I have a 50 aqua clear currently on my tank, is this filter sufficient for the 40 gallon

My tank is 29 gallon with 3 cichlids(1 acei, 1 electric yellow, 1 rusty) 1 bristle nose pleco, 1 catfish (not sure of species though, it has polkadots lol)
ShackleZ

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 40 gallon breeder questions

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 am

I would use both filters, rehome the acei since it’s going to outgrow a 40 gallon tank and get some more labs and rusties at a 1:5 ratio of male to females.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby ShackleZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:33 am

Use a 110 and a 50 filter for a 40 gallon breeder?

My acei is almost full grown in my 29 gallon right now he is about 5 1/2 maybe 6

Also I was told it is hard to sex the yellow labs
ShackleZ

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:39 am

With African cichlids, it’s better to have an “excess” than not enough filtration. It is difficult to tell by looking which is why you have to get up close and personal and learn to vent your labs to determine the sex.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby ShackleZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 am

OK I'll have to see if my yellow lab is male or female here shortly. But if I get the 40 will the 110 be sufficient enough alone. I am planning on running the filter side by side to get the beneficial bacteria into the new tank for a fewdays up to 1 week to transfer bacteria to new tank. And sell off my 29 gallon with filter. Is this a good idea or no?
ShackleZ

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:24 am

I’d let it run for a couple of weeks at least. But yes, technically you could adequately filter it with the 110. You could go ahead and put it on the tank you have running now to get the bacteria going so you don’t have to wait
caldwelldaniel26

Return to General Aquaria Discussion