General Aquaria Discussion • Where did this fish come from?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Where did this fish come from?

Postby Antonetta » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:24 pm

I have been blessed with a healthy tank for over a year now. It is 45 gallons and I have 7-8 Malawi Cichlids. I say 7 to 8 because recently I think one came back from the dead. About 6 months ago, I could not find this yellow fish or its remains. Then I was down to 5. I bought two. Now I have 8! I do not recognize this fish as the one I had. It is the same species and color, but it is pale and skinny but very zippy and healthy. Could it have been stuck under a rock for 6 plus months? I do 1/4 water changes every two weeks...that would have been 12 times in there cleaning. Hmmn...
Attachments
20171025_195404.jpg
Antonetta

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Where did this fish come from?

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 am

I'm sure it has been in there somewhere, probably hiding from what appears to be a male Kenyi under the rocks. The yellow fish on the right looks to be a Labidochromis Caeruleus (yellow lab) which is one of the less aggressive Mbuna; the Kenyi under the rock (Metriaclima Lombardoi) is one of the more aggressive Mbuna. A 45 gallon tank is really too small for Mbuna; a 4 foot long tank would be much better as the fish would have more room when being chased.

Do you check your water parameters? doing 1/4 water changes every two weeks could result in high nitrate. I would do 50% changes weekly; your fish will thank you.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Antonetta » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:43 pm

There is a fry! Tiny little thing. How exciting!
Antonetta

Postby Cyphound » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Before doing a 50% water change you need test for nitrates to see where there at. You can shock fish if you drop the nitrate level down too fast. Test and post results for us.
Cyphound

Return to General Aquaria Discussion