General Aquaria Discussion • ph lowering

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

ph lowering

Postby danielparry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 am

Im looking at adding discus to my tank my ph is currently 7.5 i have rosy barbs,angels,gouramis,neon tetras and silver dollar coin fish i was told i can slowly lower my ph to add some discus to my tank but wanted to ask what the best way would be? My tank is 4x2x2 in size
danielparry

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: ph lowering

Postby dalto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Before you make any attempt to lower ph, you need to get a measurement of your kh. That will tell you what is likely to work and what isn't

If you have high kh, don't waste your time trying to move ph chemically. You will need to mix with water from another source.

If you have moderate or low kh than it should be fairly easy to move it around. However, it is really easy to cause crazy swings in ph if you are not careful.

Personally, with most South American fish I would worry much more about TDS than ph. I have only kept a few species that cared all that much about ph and those were WC black water fish.
dalto

Postby mambee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 pm

As an aside, discus are not considered community tank fish and do best by themselves. They have specific requirements (very warm temperature, soft and acidic water, frequent water changes) and deserve their own tank.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm

+1 mambee... Discus are very sensitive fish and don't do well with most other fish.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby tanker3 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I have not had any success with Discus and tank mates. They need a high protein diet, and VERY clean water. The only fish I will try with Discus is MAYBE a small school of Cardinals. Rosy Barbs and Silver Dollars are not good "Discus tank mates".
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby CeeJay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am

What we would like to know is how hard is your water. If it's very hard it will take a lot more to lower your ph. I would recommend seachem discus buffer it lower ph and doesn't mess with the kh. I use it in my RO water and takes very little about 1/4 cup for 90 gallons. That get's the water to 6.8.

On another note what is the ph of the water that you buy these discus. There are people breeding in hard water with ph on the high size. Just me but I would check your sources and then decide. It's a lot easier to do nothing to water then to mess with it. Also w/c will be a lot easier.
CeeJay

Return to General Aquaria Discussion