General Aquaria Discussion • ALERT for Photobucket issues- new policy

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

ALERT for Photobucket issues- new policy

Postby Deeda » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I just found out that Photobucket has revised their policy to prohibit linking or imbedding pics on forums and other venues unless you pay a yearly fee for the privilege. :o :o You can check their policy update on their website for the changes.

I recommend using another photo hosting website to upload your pics so that you can still post photos. Unfortunately, this new policy will also affect previously linked or imbedded pics in all threads. :(
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: ALERT for Photobucket issues- new policy

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Testing.

noddy

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Looks like if you right click on the image you can "copy image address".
Not the way you used to have to do it.
noddy

Postby Deeda » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 pm

I think it is a slow roll out on catching up the different users. My pics are still working for now.

The PB website says image linking or 3rd party image hosting is not permitted unless you subscribe to a certain level of paid plan.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby noddy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Deeda wrote:I think it is a slow roll out on catching up the different users. My pics are still working for now.

The PB website says image linking or 3rd party image hosting is not permitted unless you subscribe to a certain level of paid plan.

Time to get that off the laptop then.
The amount of issues signing in and the amount of time it takes to get a pic uploaded lately has made it practically unusable for me anyway.
noddy

Postby judyok » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 pm

I agree. I got off photobucket some time ago, it's way to slow and now they want to charge for some of their services ha! I guess someone over there wants to commit business suicide.
judyok

Postby Deeda » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Just an update for me, PB emailed and said to upgrade to be able to use 3rd party image hosting and I checked some topics I posted pics in and sure enough I got the dreaded broken pic icon!!! I've downloaded some of my PB albums to my laptop to be able to replace forum pics.

Just a heads up that C-F is allowing pic attachments now and it can be accessed through the Full Editor option only. I am unsure if members are able to replace their broken pics though so let us know if this option is available to you or not.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Mr Chromedome » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Just a heads up that C-F is allowing pic attachments now and it can be accessed through the Full Editor option only.

You say this, but I'm not seeing it, and I'm in the full editor right now.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Deeda » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:58 am

Click Post Reply or Full Editor and scroll down to the box below the Submit button. There should be a blue box for Options, Upload Attachment and possibly Create Poll.
Click Upload Attachment > Filename: click Browse to select a pic from your device and click Open, this will place the pic next to the Browse button.
Click Add the file and Place inline where you want it in your post and click Preview to see if it is correct. Click Submit to post your reply.

If this doesn't work, let us know. I wish there was a Radio button above the comment box for this method but maybe the admin can add it if it's possible with the forum layout.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Not there. Poll creation only shows up in New Post screen, and still no option for attachments.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Tried clearing the cache, didn't help.
Mr Chromedome

Postby noddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm surprised my pic is still showing. I got the email as well.
noddy

Postby Deeda » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Not there. Poll creation only shows up in New Post screen, and still no option for attachments.

Thanks, I'll send a request to the Admin to see why it's not working. I'm hoping the new feature wasn't only given to the Mod team. :?
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Deeda » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

OK, the Admins turned the Upload Attachment on for the members, sorry about that! I don't know what they were thinking. :-?

Now for the not so good news, the Admins will NOT allow members to edit their old posts to fix the pics due to concerns about editing more than just their pics. This is what they posted

"I meant to say that members can reach out to us admins and mods if you would like to help with this (if not, just send it our way) with the reported affected threads along with their images they would like us replace the broken ones with."

We still need to work out the details on how to do this so please bear with us.

Also note the following possible fix for Chrome users:

Otherwise, for Chrome users we came across an extension that will enable you to see the broken images hosted from PB. A temp fix for now (who knows how long it'll hold up) but here it is - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... edg?hl=enm <- click on that link and do the following:

Click the link and choose to add the extension to Chrome. Then, you want to go to the Extensions main page. It's located in the top right corner menu button, the one that is 3 dots. Or, you can try this link: chrome://extensions/

Find the one you just added (it's icon is the shape of a puzzle peice) and check the box that says "Allow Access to File URLs"

Clear cookies in cache, load up a page with a photobucket link, and see if takes effect.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Deeda!

I've never quite been able to figure out what the admins on this site were thinking, but generally everything works well, so I don't want to ask too many questions! ;)
Mr Chromedome

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion