General Aquaria Discussion • How to properly use dechlorinator

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: How to properly use dechlorinator

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Seachem recommends using a higher dose of prime for chloramine and it's safe up to 5 times the normal dose for the entire volume of the tank. It is also viable as a binder for ammonia and nitrite in the aquarium for 24 hours.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Also if you're only showing 20 PPM of nitrates after a week, I'd suggest cutting back to a 35% water change once a week. It's a lot less stressful on the fish and sounds like it's all that's necessary.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:38 pm

I've used the method I suggested, otherwise I wouldn't have given the advice though, Deeda is just trying to make sure that your fish are safe and that's a good thing.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:40 pm

This info is from Seachem's website regarding using Prime.

Directions

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. For smaller volumes, please note each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first.
If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal.

For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. Bold lettering is mine. :D

To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

For emergency dose of 5 times only if your ammonia or nitrite levels are above 2 ppm, you can safely use up to 5 x the recommended amount.

I understand that everyone has a different opinion on which product to use and how to dose it but I like to defer to the mfg. suggestions. A healthy discussion is a good thing and after seeing many fish forums discussions on what to use and how much to use, it can be a bit confusing based on each aquarists particular water quality.

Ideally, knowing how much chlorine or chloramine at one's home would help to accurately figure out the dosage of product needed. From my understanding, Prime and similar products are dosage based on the maximum amount of chlorine/chloramine allowed in the U.S. If your home is less, you would need less product. The only way to figure it out would be to purchase a test kit for chlorine or chloramine and periodically test your tap water, especially prior to a water change.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Yeah so three or four capfuls would be perfectly safe lol. You did a good job of proving my point thanks Deeda! I'd rather err on the side of dosing for "excessive chloramine" than not enough.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you both! I did see that before on their site I believe, about adding directly to the aquarium, but it didnt specify how. I suppose it doesnt exactly matter whether it is all before, during, or all after, as long as it gets in there.
morrismorris

Postby noddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:54 pm

I use Seachem Safe and add it all when I first start to sdd the new tap water.
I've been doing this for years on all my tanks that range from 10-210g .+
1 tspn treats 200 gallons of water for chloramine. Always treat for the size of the tank, not just what you are changing.
noddy

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 pm

No problem my friend, whatever works best for you and your fish! Have a good weekend fellas, I'm going on vacation this weekend.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm

There is a good article over on MFK Here that offers some additional insight on choosing and using a good water conditioner. Most of the best info is in the 1st post and some additional comments are helpful but a lot of the posts are for individual comments and sometimes go off topic. Still a good read though!
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:57 pm

noddy wrote:I use Seachem Safe and add it all when I first start to sdd the new tap water.
1 tspn treats 200 gallons of water for chloramine. Always treat for the size of the tank, not just what you are changing.
Have they switched y'all to chloramine in Canada as well or do y'all still have good old chlorinated water?
caldwelldaniel26

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the support and hopefully this also helps others in my boat!
morrismorris

Postby noddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 pm

caldwelldaniel26 wrote:
noddy wrote:I use Seachem Safe and add it all when I first start to sdd the new tap water.
Have they switched y'all to chloramine in Canada as well or do y'all still have good old chlorinated water?

I don't know about the whole country but I do know that Toronto uses chloramine.
noddy

Postby Trademark » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I change about 75% once a week and just add one cap full of prime right before I refill with the python. Don't seem to have any issues.
Trademark

Postby Rob117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:12 am

Just getting back into the hobby and this post highlighted a few things that will help me down the road. Thanks all for posting. I haven't stocked with cichlids just yet as I'm just cycling the tank, I did just introduce a pair of albino bristlenose plecostomus into the tank. They are small 1 1/2"
Rob117

Postby morrismorris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 am

Rob, I'm glad to hear that this helped you. I found the information helpful as well and can say that it seems to have made a positive difference in my tank. For one, my fish don't seem to rub against rocks after water changes anymore.

Good luck with your new setup!
morrismorris

PreviousNext

Return to General Aquaria Discussion