General Aquaria Discussion • How to properly use dechlorinator

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

How to properly use dechlorinator

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

When I do water changes, I use the Python hose that attaches to the spigot in my kitchen, which has been very nice rather than using buckets. When I let the hose put water back in the tank, I dose the dechlorinator gradually, while the water is going in. Is this the proper way or should I dose all of the dechlorinator before the water goes in or maybe even after?
morrismorris

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How to properly use dechlorinator

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Your best bet is to buy one of those Rubbermaid trash cans and a fountain pump with a piece of tubing, pour a capful of prime in the trash can, fill with fresh water and use the pump to pump it into your tank. Or you can go buy a 1 cubic foot filter bottle of catalytic carbon and a 1/2 cubic foot bottle of zeolite and just hang the hose straight in your tank and fill it that way. If you add dechlorinator to the display as you're filling it, you have to dose enough for the entire volume of the tank or they will definitely be getting some chlorine burn
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:03 pm

You can either use the method you are currently using by adding the product as you are adding water or you can add the product all at the start of the fill using the hose. Double check your product instructions or the company's website as they may offer more info.

Double check how much product you need to add when refilling directly from a hose rather than using the bucket method. Usually when adding new water via the hose method, you dose for the tank volume.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm

You save a lot of money on dechlorinator if you use the 40 gallon trash can and pump idea though... Especially if you change out hundreds of gallons of water on water change day for several tanks. I use the catalytic carbon/zeolite method now because it's so much easier just to hang the hose in the tank and let it fill, but it's expensive to get started.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Both of those methods seem like great ideas but for right now, are not practical for my current situation. Python claims that their hose rids the water of chlorine through the hose somehow but I dont really trust that.

I notice that my fish rub against rocks after the water change, so it leads me to believe that they are dealing with either burn from some chlorine or another type of "shock" from the change.
morrismorris

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:29 pm

There's not much of a way around the scratching after water changes. Any change in PH, hardness, slight amount of ammonia or chlorine is going to irritate them. How much water are you changing at once and size of tank?
caldwelldaniel26

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm

I bring the water down to half of the tank, which is less than 50% taking rocks and substrate into consideration. 75 gallon tank.
morrismorris

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:39 pm

The Python website FAQ states that a portion of the chlorine is removed due to the aeration of the water as it passes through the product but I think this assumes that the water added to the tank is above the water surface of the tank.

First you need to determine if your water authority uses only chlorine or if it uses chloramine as a disinfectant. You should use a water conditioner that treats what your water is using.

Which water conditioner (dechlorinator) are you currently using?

Also, how much product are you adding when doing a water change of 50% on the 75G tank?
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:43 pm

I am currently using API Tap Water Conditioner and am dosing roughly 1 full cap per water change.
morrismorris

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:53 pm

You should be able to test the tap water for ammonia and if it's present then you have chloramine. I don't think you are using enough dechlorinator to treat the entire tank though. I would also suggest switching to prime since it covers both chlorine and chloramine, plus it's a capful per 50 gallons versus a teaspoon per 10 gallons of the API. I'd almost be willing to bet that you have chloramine because it's cheaper for water treatment facilities and very few use straight chlorine anymore.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm

I just confirmed that I do in fact have chloromine (2% average detection) coming through the tap. Funny you mentioned Prime; I actually ordered some after reading the good reviews. So what would be your suggestion, if any, on how much of Prime to dose and the method? All at once before adding water, a little at a time as it goes in, or all at once after the tank is refilled?
morrismorris

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Oh, and how often are you doing water changes and what are your nitrates like when you change it? Don't know why I forgot to ask that lol. Also if you are draining the water level to half the tank height then you're taking a little more than 50% of the water because the sand and rocks displace quite a bit.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 pm

I would put three or four capfuls of prime in then new water. The higher dosage helps to bind the ammonia until the bacteria can break it down.
caldwelldaniel26

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm

I highly recommend following the product instructions for dosing; if you don't use enough, you aren't removing the disinfectant and if you use too much, there is the possibility to reduce the oxygen level in the tank.

If using Prime and adding water directly to the tank via a hose, dose for the 75G tank size and add Prime as you are adding new water unless the instructions state otherwise.

Every so often, manufacturers change the instructions and dosing levels due to product changes so read the directions.

Another point that is often missed when determining how much water conditioner is actually needed is that the disinfection level at the plant may be different (higher) than that found at your faucet tap. Low pH tap water (>7) requires a bit more conditioner than pH higher than 7.
Fishless Cycling

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby morrismorris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

I really appreciate the support from you two! Looks like I am getting conflictind ideas on how to dose the tank though.

I change roughly once per week. Nitrate around 20ppm.
morrismorris

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion