Switch to full site
For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.
Post a reply

Dispose of Trumpet Snails?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 am

Where should I dispose of a colander full of trumpet snails? Should i freeze them and toss them out with trash in 4 days? Want to be environmentally thoughtful about it, but I live in MI so it might not be an issue? https://www.instagram.com/p/BVd2FYJFlc7/

Re: Dispose of Trumpet Snails?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 am

I would either freeze or dry them first.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:28 am

I put them in my compost!

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 am

I would kill them first (I freeze...quicker) then compost is fine...or trash if you have bears like me.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 am

Thank you! I put them in the freezer last night, so will add to compost later. I was just concerned because I've read so many things about how they seem to live through darn near anything, and i didn't want them to do any damage to plants or water systems if I disposed of them. Awesome.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:36 am

If you kill them first...you should be good. I freeze and trash...freezer is also handy to keep them from smelling up the garbage while waiting for pickup day.

Thanks for being responsible!

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:23 pm

jwest3494 wrote:Thank you! I put them in the freezer last night, so will add to compost later. I was just concerned because I've read so many things about how they seem to live through darn near anything, and i didn't want them to do any damage to plants or water systems if I disposed of them. Awesome.

I think freezing them makes sense, but my composter is closed, and we're not near any water, so I think the risk of them getting into the local ecosystem is extremely low.
Post a reply